Small Woodland Owners' Group

chainsaw review

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: chainsaw review

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:45 pm

According to Fleabay and Amazon, the Oregon powersharp appears to be aimed at small saws, eg the ocassional user / hobby market. One Amazon one user said it was loose and the chain couldn't be properly tensioned, plus the chain oil feed wouldn't work. -This is just a 3rd party opinion, not mine, but it looks as if its early days for the concept and only time will tell if it proves trusty and popular. I'd guess pros will stick to the old technology, particularly as it seems to be a system available for only smaller saws.

Yes I am generally cynical about whizz bang new gadgets dreamed up by suited marketing managers who never step outside of the office, mainly because 30 years ago I used to be one. Can't believe anyone ever took in all the c**p we used to make up. (our exotic mystical jungle ingredient shampoos were concocted in an industrial estate in Basingstoke ).

There is obviously a useful role for small saws, for firewood, gardens, coppice and softwoods. Personally, given the big oak beasts I've got, even a 50cc stihl is a big underpowered, if you've tried going through 2 feet or more of seasoned oak you'd understand why !
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:21 pm

I have to agree with oldclawpaws on this one, although I looked at them, and thought it to be a good idea, all the stuff I read said not for engines above a certain cc size, so as an add on for my import its a no go, it will be interesting to see how long my import and chains @ £100 last, compared to your system, perhaps we can do a review of both, say in 12 months time
Dexter's Shed

chainsaw review

Postby Bearwood » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:07 pm

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?"

I'm not going to see how high up the wall I can pee OCP. I'm just stating the case which I made earlier; a low end saw can be disappointing. This is a fact.

It can be made better with a longer bar and decent chain.
This is also a fact.

The Oregon Powersharp system has worked for me, and turned an entry-level saw into a 'dirty little whore' (copyright MB) capable of doing anything I ask.
This is also a fact.

Maybe it's a case of 'Economies of scale' and the system won't be any use over 16", but as a user which is impressed by its performance. Who's to question that?

In my case a powersharp system made a huge difference to the point where I'd rather use it over an 021 with a Vpx chain, but hey. If a Chinese import or an Amazon review means that my opinions are invalid, I'll gladly mosey off back into the woods and light up the Hipolito.

Edit: Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh. But I'm a bit p/o'd by the negativity portrayed by folks that have little or no experience of a product. The forum reaches a large audience (of which many visitors don't contribute but research instead), and dismissive posts don't really capture the whole point of sharing experience of a product. Maybe that's just how this forum is at the moment, or maybe providing a balanced view isn't what's needed.
Bearwood

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:39 pm

calm down,calm down (said in a Liverpudlian accent)
if anyone should get the hump it's me, as this post was my review of my Imported chainsaw, yet we have 5 pages of other peoples points on good,bad and ugly, on all makes of chainsaws, it's down to each individual to read through, make their own minds up, and make use of any info they want, you won't see me crying when people instantly slam the imports, its only their opinion

I feel this post in all honesty is brilliant, it's got members talking in an otherwise sometimes quite forum, I have no problem with members who never post but just read, but we need posting members to keep the forum going forward, otherwise, what would they read, it would become stagnant and dwindle

although I doubt my import will use that chain system, if I can find one around 10" for my husky, at a cheap enough price, I will definitely be giving it a go, I fancy having a go at log carving, carving blades are in my mind, overly expensive, and all the info out there states not to use them when first starting out, so having a system that sharpens in seconds, sounds good to me
Dexter's Shed

Postby Bearwood » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Yeah. I know Steve. I'm just a bit peeved that's all. Personally I reckon we should drink a keg if my cider and fight it out around a campfire with sharp twigs. ;D
Bearwood

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Maybe the Oregon Powersharp has a place, for owners of small saws who don't know how or don't wish to learn how to sharpen their chain, using a file for example. I looked to see, out of curiosity what it would cost me to get started with say a 13 inch bar and chain for my Stihl MS-260. I can't - there's nothing available for the MS-260 or anything else higher up the Stihl range. When I started with a chainsaw I was taught how to keep the chain properly sharpened using a file, honing it with a couple of strokes while taking a break. I can't help but think the Powersharp system is for those who don't know how to or don't want to do that. Each to their own I guess.

It seems to me that the system is designed for convenience at the expense of cost. The chain has been designed to be sharpened in a way that is quite different to a normal saw, grinding down the top of the tooth rather than sharpening the leading edge of the tooth as I would do with a file. Do that not too many times and you need a new chain. I've had my MS-260 for about six year and I still have the original chain.I should add I have a variety of bar lengths and a number of chains and I'm more likely to put a fresh one on and bring the dull ones back home to sharpen in my garage rather than do it when I'm felling. Despite numerous sharpenings, my chains still have lot of use left in them.

For an occasional user, the cost increase of using Powersharp may be negligible. I suspect for anyone using their saw for a significant period of the day, such as a professional, it would start being somewhat expensive. And personally, I dislike the throwaway attitude that it encourages. I suspect the Oregon marketing department are delighted - a proprietary, limited use consumable - a regular income stream. A bit like the difference between using loose ground coffee in my espresso machine and using some fancy little pre-packed capsule at X times the price.

The comment that a low end saw can be made better with a longer bar and a different chain is quite possibly true. Was the Oregon Powersharp the only option available to you? Perhaps you would also have seen a transformation with any decent chain?
SimonFisher

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Bearwood wrote:Yeah. I know Steve. I'm just a bit peeved that's all. Personally I reckon we should drink a keg if my cider and fight it out around a campfire with sharp twigs. ;D

I'm up for the Cider :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:58 pm

I'm not going to see how high up the wall I can pee OCP

Believe me mate, after last weeks surgery with the resulting state of my bladder and prostate, I'll loose in a wall pissing contest every time, although I reckon I could go maybe 5 times as often, and leave a more dramatic stain. It would look as if the wall had been the backstop for a firing squad.
oldclaypaws

chainsaw review

Postby Bearwood » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:37 am

SimonFisher wrote:
The comment that a low end saw can be made better with a longer bar and a different chain is quite possibly true. Was the Oregon Powersharp the only option available to you? Perhaps you would also have seen a transformation with any decent chain?

With respect Simon, please read my previous posts.

I am fully aware of how to sharpen a saw with a file, having worked with saws on and off for over thirteen years. I rate, quite highly, the microlite bar and 95vp chain that's on my 021, but the system I'm using on the 236 works remarkably well given the situations I put it in.

At no point would I suggest this chain is a 'one stop shop' that's suitable for all saws, and that even professionals should change over. It is however, a handy system which allows my cheaper saw to do dirtier jobs with no fear of constantly re-sharpening. I'm happy to fly its flag for that reason.
Last edited by Bearwood on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearwood

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:39 am

heres a good video of it in action

http://youtu.be/OmrhJbEyvuY
Dexter's Shed

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance