Small Woodland Owners' Group

chainsaw review

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: chainsaw review

Postby Rod Taylor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:37 am

Owned a MS181 for 3 years now and still going well. Mine has the 14 inch bar and was the best my employers generosity would stretch to for a retirement gift. Uses surprisingly less fuel than the larger MS260 doing the same work cutting up logs. Has also coped well with felling overstood coppice. Time will tell if the heavier professional range will outlast it, but not being a full time lumberjack seems more than adequate.
My only problem with the MS181 has been the oil pick-up and the chain running dry. This is down to the tube to the filter being too stiff for the filter to drop into the oil whatever angle the saw is being used at, or the filter being too light. Checked several new models at shows and dealers by removing the filler cap and rotating the saw, and the filter body doesn't move. Mentioned this to Stihl agents so hope word has got back to the factory. Stihl also shelled out for two warranty claims to check the oil pump in the first year before the cause became apparent.
Before finding a suitable weight and to fit to the filter, keeping the oil level higher solved the problem, so not a reason not to buy, just something to be aware of as otherwise a very useful tool.
Rod Taylor

Postby Zenith » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for that detailed info, Rod.
Zenith

Postby The Barrowers » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:14 am

Hello

Having only Husqvarna history (plus I like the colour) I have a 2 middle of the range models with a trio brake (additional right handed chain brake also with a non spanner tensioning wheel, really easy to use. Husqvarna have stopped using it on new models. They change models as much as I change tyres on my truck)
1 saw was not serviced for 3 years (£72) whilst medium use, felled 2 acres of overstood chestnut.
Doesn't run any different now than before service. I will continue with what I trust and have my theory proved, Don't mend it unless broken.

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Wendelspanswick » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:22 am

I have two Husqvarna's, a medium size and a large size, both bought from new and over 20 years old now, both start and run beautifully and neither have ever had a service apart from the basic maintainence that I do myself.
Plugs are original, bars and chains have been replaced numerous times along with a brake band on the medium size saw.
Occasionally I will strip them down and give them a good clean with the airline, clean the airfilters and set the High, Low and Tickover screws on the carb. To be honest there's not a lot else to do on a chainsaw, especially if you use a good quality 2 stroke oil.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Rod Taylor » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:45 pm

Neither of my 2 Stihls have ever been 'serviced' either without any problems. But as a retired engineer have no problems checking and cleaning spark plugs, general chain sharpening and bar maintenance myself. As in the last post this has been more than adequate to keep both saws running reliably for many years, and I've never even needed to tweek the carb screws as they run as smooth as ever.
Rod Taylor

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm jealous of trained Engineers as I have a desire to understand all practical things and the mystical language of sprockets, torsion bars and countersunk screwing, but did Latin at school rather than anything useful. I bow in awe at those who can strip an Engine and reassemble it back to front, where I feel achievement from hoovering dog fluff off the car seats or putting a new battery in the TV remote control.

Why do schools teach Mandarin, media skills and business studies, but we have a chronic shortage of people who can make or repair things? Didn't we invent the industrial revolution? I told our local MP you can't have an economy based on shopping centres and feng shui consultants.

I recall a farmer I had the misfortune to know. 10 days before the harvest he sold his grain tipper lorry, much to the disbelief of his wife, as he was offered a good price for it. What are you going to do?, she asked. He smiled and disappeared into one of his large sheds, emerging only to drag in part of one of the lorries lying in the yard or get another welding bottle. Blue sparks flashed from under the doors at night, and various pieces of scrap were dragged into the sacrificial assembly pit. There were various strange grinding, squirting, hammering and hissing noises. Then 8 days later, he emerged beaming, opened the doors, and drove out what appeared to be a brand new tipper lorry, complete with hydraulic tipping bay, fullset of lights, cabin, stereo system and sparkly paintjob. Respect. Thats what you call engineering. He was an *rse of a man in general, zero interpersonal skills and the tact of Attilla the Hun, but an absolute genius at anything practical.

Thinking about it, the two are often diametrically opposed. I know a certain celebrity TV metalworker who has turned his practical showmanship into a sort of entertainment, his treatment of family though is hardly exemplary, his soft touch with steel does not extend to humans.
oldclaypaws

Postby Binz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:13 am

phoned around a few weeks ago and service was typically about £110. For that they'd do new fuel filter and spark plug, clean the air filter, clean the carburettor and chain sharpened. It could be cheaper to buy new filter, plug and carburettor and do it yourself. Tip, unhooking throttle connection between trigger and carb is easier if you use a pair of forcepts on the link.
Binz

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Binz wrote:phoned around a few weeks ago and service was typically about £110. For that they'd do new fuel filter and spark plug, clean the air filter, clean the carburettor and chain sharpened. It could be cheaper to buy new filter, plug and carburettor and do it yourself. Tip, unhooking throttle connection between trigger and carb is easier if you use a pair of forcepts on the link.

thanks for that, as much as I like my Husky, both it and the Import would make more sense to buy a complete new model if anything serious ever went wrong with them,
Dexter's Shed

Postby Zenith » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Just had the report back on my McCullough chainsaw and it's beyond repair at anything like a price that would be worth it so, after Christmas (!!!!!) I will definitely be purchasing a new chainsaw. The advice and comments on here will be extremely useful in helping me make my final decision.

Many thanks
Zenith

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Zenith wrote:Just had the report back on my McCullough chainsaw and it's beyond repair at anything like a price that would be worth it so, after Christmas (!!!!!) I will definitely be purchasing a new chainsaw. The advice and comments on here will be extremely useful in helping me make my final decision.

Many thanks

just to add, was it a problem with the engine or chain/brake etc?
reason for asking, is if the engine still runs, get it on e bay advertised as a good engine to make a rat smoker with, you could get £20-£30 quid to put towards your new one
Dexter's Shed

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance