Small Woodland Owners' Group

chainsaw review

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: chainsaw review

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:49 pm

If the saw is treated with respect and kept sharp, properly tensioned and clean, there's not a huge amount you need to do other than clean the air and fuel filters occasionally and maybe check the spark plug. Most of the adjustments such as the carb are at factory presets and shouldn't be mucked about with.

BTW, a shaft locking lever sheared off my new Einhell brushcutter today, I rang Einhell UK and after providing proof of purchase they are sending a replacement part under warranty- pretty good service. They also do an affordable 50cc petrol chainsaw for £160, but I'll stick to my Stihl 261.
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:11 pm

The Stihl MS 181 is a 14" saw according to Mole Valley Farmers:
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/stihl-ms-181-chainsaw
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:25 pm

You could fit a 48" bar if you wanted to pose, but it aint gonna give it any more juice. Its CC's that give the power. Stihl themselves recommend it for 'around-the-garden cutting jobs' and 'property maintenance'. Its one notch above their entry level saw for cutting small firewood, its not designed for forestry. But hey, you buy what you want. A 181 is always useful for those smaller tasks like clipping toenails, cutting a lettuce in half or opening a really tough jiffy bag. :lol: :mrgreen:

Incidentally, while my 50cc MS 261 'just about does nicely', I reckon in hindsight I could use a bit extra for big oak boughs. It labours a bit on anything hard and the width of the 16" bar, you can hear it strain. Its OK, but not considered a 'powerful' saw by pros. In wouldn't for example be able to do chainsaw milling, that would need a £1000 saw and a lot of CC's.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:03 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:You could fit a 48" bar if you wanted to pose, but it aint gonna give it any more juice. Its CC's that give the power. Stihl themselves recommend it for 'around-the-garden cutting jobs' and 'property maintenance'. Its one notch above their entry level saw for cutting small firewood, its not designed for forestry. But hey, you buy what you want. A 181 is always useful for those smaller tasks like clipping toenails, cutting a lettuce in half or opening a really tough jiffy bag. :lol: :mrgreen:

Incidentally, while my 50cc MS 261 'just about does nicely', I reckon in hindsight I could use a bit extra for big oak boughs. It labours a bit on anything hard and the width of the 16" bar, you can hear it strain. Its OK, but not considered a 'powerful' saw by pros. In wouldn't for example be able to do chainsaw milling, that would need a £1000 saw and a lot of CC's.

so my 52cc import with 20" bar is still coming up trumps
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Stihl are expected to last many trouble free years and have a full network of trained distributors, but one thing your Chinky comes with as standard which Stihl don't sell is the spare wooden leg for the operator. I also didn't get any free prawn crackers.

Its overkill putting a 20" bar on a 50cc motor, 18" is the most one could sensibly handle on medium density woods, other than that you're just straining the engine and carrying wasted length. Thats just a cheap marketing ploy to suggest you're getting more. Its a bit like having a speedometer rated to 300mph on a Ford Fiesta- you're never gonna be able to use it, it'll die before it gets there.

Always best for a person or machine to know its limits and operate well within them, not pushing the boundaries beyond what you can sensibly manage.
Last edited by oldclaypaws on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Buy it with a right one and a rubber hose and two ping pong balls to go in the middle and you're covered for all eventualities. :lol:
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:19 pm

Wendelspanswick wrote:The Stihl MS 181 is a 14" saw according to Mole Valley Farmers:
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/stihl-ms-181-chainsaw

That's just the bar they're selling it with. Both Stihl and the FR Jones web site (http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/machines/chainsaws-pole-saws/petrol-chainsaws/stihl-ms-181-chainsaw-31-8cc/) show it as available with 12, 14 or 16 inch bar.
SimonFisher

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:34 am

oldclaypaws wrote: but one thing your Chinky comes with as standard which Stihl don't sell is the spare wooden leg for the operator..

just for you Paws a quick clip of the widow maker in action,please note all arms and legs still intact at end of film :lol:

http://youtu.be/uRjN3hvR7Sw
Dexter's Shed

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:51 am

Dexter's Shed wrote:a quick clip of the widow maker in action,please note all arms and legs still intact at end of film :lol:
http://youtu.be/uRjN3hvR7Sw

'Newbies' note, not recommended as a training video. Most of us wear the generally recognised level of safety gear when using a chainsaw.
SimonFisher

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance