Small Woodland Owners' Group

chainsaw review

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: chainsaw review

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:38 am

Dexter's Shed wrote:heres a good video of it in action
http://youtu.be/OmrhJbEyvuY

Thanks for finding that - a useful demonstration and explanation of how it differs from a regular chain.

While watching the reviewer cross cutting, I was wondering why he wasn't making particularly speedy progress, and in the final minute of the video he explains this by saying that it doesn't cut as well as a regular chain. Interestingly he also rates it down for the fact that it's more expensive and that if you hit something hard you might have to sharpen it upto five times to get it cutting properly again. Is that five out of your total? Against those three 'minuses', he gives it a 'plus' for being fast and easy to sharpen and decides that makes it a good choice overall. I'm not so sure I'd come to the same view based on those pros and cons.

My Stihl MS 260 was bought with a 13-inch bar, which seems to be a very good match for its power. It's perfect for the thinning work we're mostly doing on oak and beech and with a good sharp chain it makes pretty good progress. Cutting quickly and efficiently for me makes it a delight to use. I can't imagine wanting to put a chain on that I know is limiting my saw's ability from the start!

Perhaps if I was using my chainsaw as a bit of a stump-grinder and eating into the dirt with it then I might think it worth a try.
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Its best to be cynical about 'new fangled stuff' until proven.

I tend to travel by sedan chair rather than combustion engine, often fell trees with a flint hand axe, never use pen and paper but write in cuneiform on clay tablets, and am suspicious of electricity. This laptop is set on a cliff top and driven by a team of lemmings in a generator wheel running endlessly towards the precipice.

There is a significant failure rate in new technology, those that prove to be improvements change society and often make their inventors rich. Those that are half baked fade into obscurity and can bankrupt the maker.

The idea of a simple quick self sharpening saw is innovative, satisfying a basic need from those who either can't or don't want to use a file. If they can get it to match the performance and endurance of an orthodox saw I'll be delighted to have one, but time will tell if this one is 'a better mousetrap' or 'a Sinclair C5'. As Simon says, a conventional larger bar and decent chain might more than match its performance.

For what its worth, both Stihl saw distributors I know really slagged off Stihl's picco duro chains. You pay quite a premium for them, they are tipped with super hard carbide. They are very sharp for quite a bit longer, the problem is when they do blunt, they are also harder than a steel file and can't be sharpened ! You'd need a 3 times the cost picco duro file to sharpen them. Another one eventually destined for the 'tried and bucketed' heap?
oldclaypaws

Postby splodger » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:52 pm

this has turned into quite an interesting thread - although i don't think there is any need to slate somebodys personal choice of machine or add ons - lets keep it friendly ;)

we have several saws for use in our woods - a few big old lumps (with 30 or 36" bars), a fair few medium range saws for general use ( 12, 18 & 20 " bars)
we both prefer stihl - although we have other saws, stihl are the only ones used regularly.
me and my dad have our favourites. dad likes the big beasties with plenty of grunt.
my favourite and most used chainsaw is a stihl ms170 - ( or pencil sharpener) lovely little saw for pruning
this i bought secondhand for £90 it was in immaculate condition and came with a spare chain - i've had it for about 7 years and i wouldn't be without it
splodger

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:46 pm

I think you'll find no-body on the Forum has 'slated' anything, other than quoting third party reviewers and stating the fact that so far the system is only for small saws. I also said small saws certainly have their uses and that Powersharp is an innovate system I'd be pleased to have if they prove successful and as good as conventional chains.

All seems fairly neutral and objective if you ask me, no offense was intended and none should be taken. If whatever setup we each have floats our individual boats then that's just fine. We all have individual preferences- it would be rather boring if everyone bought one saw from one manufacturer. I was interested enough in the powersharp system to see if it was available for my saw and any costs and reviews, but it isn't available.

Go to arbtalk and look at the Stihl v Husky heated debates, its surprising there hasn't been a war over it yet ! We all get very attached to our tools and they become almost part of our personality. I'd be miffed if someone had a go at a Stihl 261, it was my personal well researched choice, but it wouldn't be the right saw for all jobs, too big for many, too small for others. My preference is buy the best quality I can, although there is a significant trade off with cost- I can't buy the top notch of anything, and it seems some 'lads' will spend vast amounts on way OTT gadgets and tools just to show off. Mobile phones are one of the current favourite bits of 'male jewellery'- and I don't have one at all !

My other bits of equipment-

Vehicle- 16 year old Audi Estate. Slow, scratched, and very fluffy.
ATV- Wheelbarrow
Security system- Very big dogs and scary wife
Phone- Nope
Brushcutter- knackered, goes back tomorrow
Log trolley- £40 Kiddies gypsy caravan chasis
Bushknife- Mora Robust, £13
oldclaypaws

Postby splodger » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:39 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:I think you'll find no-body on the Forum has 'slated' anything, other than quoting third party reviewers and stating the fact that so far the system is only for small saws. I also said small saws certainly have their uses and that Powersharp is an innovate system I'd be pleased to have if they prove successful and as good as conventional chains.

i didn't mention any names

oldclaypaws wrote: Go to arbtalk and look at the Stihl v Husky heated debates, its surprising there hasn't been a war over it yet !
that's where i bought my 170 ;)
splodger

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance