Small Woodland Owners' Group

Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit

Postby Binz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:03 am

Hi, has anyone tried Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit ? I have been using alkylate petrol which is expensive but can be left in chainsaw for months without waxing/gumming up. Have heard that Fuel Fit can be added to normal unleaded and will do the same thing. Interested to hear from anyone who has used it, how effective is it?
Binz

Re: Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:41 am

Binz wrote:Hi, has anyone tried Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit ?

I bought some of it about five years ago and used it before I switched to using Aspen alkylate about two years ago. Whether I saw any noticeable improvement in fuel issues with the Fuel Ft I can't say - it'd still take a bit of effort to get my Stihl chainsaw or leaf blower started for the first time after they'd been unused for a while.

Since switching to alkylate, I experienc no problems starting either engine. I also find the exhaust gases less nauseous.
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:14 pm

I was recommended it when I got my Stihl from Radmore and Tucker. All I can say is its sometimes a month or two between using my saw and its started first or second pull every time. Whether thats the saw alone, or whether its helped by the Fuel Fit I can't say, but its very affordable and if it helps, its a no brainer.
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 am

On Amazon 30 odd users give fuel fit a 4 - 5 star rating, reporting it does what it claims. The cost is modest, I think a little £5 bottle will treat 40 litres, which is a lot of sawing- more than I do in a year.

Here's their video explaining what it supposedly does, if it saves binning a tank full of fuel (again, Ratty)- its worth the extra few pennies. I suspect many people (including myself until told by Radmore & Tucker) are unaware that petrol can rapidly degrade and can 'go off' in as little as 30 days unless treated. Its not an issue with a car, which most people top up with fresh fuel every week or two, but lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc are used seasonally and often left unused for sufficient time for residual fuel to lose much of its 'uumph' and cause starting problems.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en/support/videos/other-engines/briggs-and-stratton-fuel-fit
oldclaypaws

Postby Binz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:27 am

thanks all, I'll give it a go once I've used up my stock of Aspen alkylate
Binz

Postby The Barrowers » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Hello

Aspen is supposed to be better for the lungs when over a chainsaw for lengths of time

I use it as it also means less mixing etc.

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Rich » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi Bernie,
I was given some at a show recently, though I've not tried it yet, did you have to retune your carb at all when you switched over?
cheers
Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby The Barrowers » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Hello

http://www.wadhurstcountryservices.co.uk/

Close to me are Wadhurst etc as above who are Husqvarna, Suzuki Quad dealer and service centre and a trials bike dealer (even though I am not allowed a bike) is my Aspen supplier. To the technical point of re tuning, you are talking to a clutz, it appears to run as good. I have enough troubles keeping the chain sharp and the bar straight!!

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Rich wrote:did you have to retune your carb at all when you switched over?

No need.

There's a questions and answers page on Aspen Alkylate at http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/clean-facts/questions-and-answers/.
SimonFisher

Postby Terry » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:18 am

also a long running thread on Arbtalk re Aspen
Terry

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance