Small Woodland Owners' Group

Recommendation for Loppers - Wilkinson Sword PowerGear Large Bypass

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:16 am

I have a note that someone suggested/recommended Wilkinson Sword geared loppers at the first SWOG meeting (2008-03-29). I then found we had a pair of the smaller ones from the range which I think I got free with a garden shredder a couple of years back.

I've just bought the larger ones - Wilkinson Sword PowerGear Large Bypass Loppers (part number 220139) and can highly recommend them.

They're rated for stems up to 45mm diameter and come with a life time guarantee. They're also very light for their size - 1060g according to the packaging. The handles are some sort of fibre glass I think but the blade and gear mechanism appear to be steel.

Google search for "Wilkinson Sword 220139"

SimonFisher

Postby Binz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 am

Yep, we've got the geared anvil type and they are still going strong. I understand wilkinson sword branded tools are actually made by Fiskars (we also have WS billhook and small axe and they keep a sharp edge for a long time)

Binz

Binz

Postby docsquid » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:53 pm

If you are small, light and weak like me, you might be interested in some ratchet loppers. I got some at of all places the Ski and Snowboard show at the NEC - from a French Company Jardin de France. They are lightweight which means I can carry them and they can get through surprisingly large stems.

docsquid

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance