Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hammocks

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Hammocks

Postby Zenith » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:50 am

Many thanks. I must get myself a camcorder and do a few videos. From what I could tell, the DD is very similar to the Hennessy in design. Do you know if there are any stores that have hammocks on display so that they can be tried out. The system looks great, but I'd need to know just how comfortable they are and how easy they are to get in and out.

I had a look at some more of your videos, and it looks a great wood. We're really looking forward to years of enjoyment in our wood. We've officially owned it for just over a month now and are finding something new every visit. We've cleared a campsite area and there are plenty of sweet chestnut trees where we could sling a hammock for my wife. I'll still be in the tent, but at least it will mean that we can both camp there if a hammock turns out to be the answer for her.
Zenith

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 am

no idea on shops I'm afraid, can only suggest lots of watching stuff on you tube, as with most items, once you have a hammock or two, you'll find little modifications that you can do to make them better for you, if I'm honest, my first use/sleep over was uncomfortable and cold, but it gives you a good learning curve and you find ideas on the internet to make the second outing better, I doubt you'll find anything that ticks all the boxes out of the wrapper.
as for putting it inside a tent, I can see that being awkward, but you could use a tarp easy enough, and the ends can be closed in like a tent (again watch you tube) I prefer keeping one full side open so I can view out, our reason for opting for hammocks was so we could view the wildlife from the sleeping position, without the need to clamber from a tent making noise and scaring stuff away.

we do sometimes use a small handheld video camera, but most of our stuff is filmed either on our phones, or we have a go pro and a MUVI video action camera
very envious of you having sweet chestnut
Dexter's Shed

Postby Zenith » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:11 pm

No, I don't intend putting it inside a tent. I would be in the tent and my wife would be in the hammock. I've had a look on YouTube and the more I see these hammocks, the more I am warming to the idea of getting one.

Yes, our sweet chestnuts are beautiful, but we won't be able to do much with them. They have not been coppiced for about 100 years and some of them are estimated to be 200 years old, so the wood is more of a high forest than a coppice, but at least there are plenty of places to put up a hammock.
Zenith

Postby The Barrowers » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Hello DD hammocks are a Scottish firm and easy to deal with
With good delivery
B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Zenith » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks. :D

I'm going to look at several firms, because it seems such a good way to get it so my wife can camp in the wood. It will make it so much better if she can join me there.
Zenith

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance