Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hammocks

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Hammocks

Postby The Barrowers » Thu May 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Hello

We are considering buying a DD hammock (on website search)

Anyone have experience of these or other makes

I normally do not sleep on my back, can you sleep on your side??

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Re: Hammocks

Postby Bearwood » Thu May 09, 2013 5:51 pm

I had one and upgraded to a Warbonnet which is far superior. The DD's are good value and when used with a (very) thick sleeping mat such as the Exped 7 or Exped 9 downmats they will spread enough to sleep on your side.

Factor in the cost of buying and under quilt, one of the mats above or similar as I defy anyone to sleep in a hammock without insulation under your backside.
Bearwood

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:59 pm

The Barrowers wrote:Hello

We are considering buying a DD hammock (on website search)

Anyone have experience of these or other makes

I normally do not sleep on my back, can you sleep on your side??

B and T

did you purchase a DD hammock in the end?
I bought two for use over our woods, and we had our first camping session a month or so ago, I too normally sleep on my side, but can normally fall asleep anywhere, and wanted a hammock over a tent, so wildlife could be viewed when awake, rather than being zipped inside a tent, my advise to new hammock users, is practise before hand on the setting up, getting in and out etc, theres lots of clips on u tube if you look, my only mistake was buying a sleeping bag (mummy type) and not trying it out before our trip to the woods, so apart from my feet being too restricted, it was not long enough, Im 6'2" and it was way to short, so my first night was a cold morning, since then I've learnt to set it up lower to the ground, and bought a decent sized sleeping bag

sorry but the volume needs to be turned up because of the background noise

http://youtu.be/7moIe5PhYss
Dexter's Shed

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Yes, Thank for you Tube post

Have bought and tried DD in leisure but not as a need to sleep out Hopefully this weekend

Having difficulty finding trees the right diameter and distance apart

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:38 pm

The Barrowers wrote:Yes, Thank for you Tube post

Have bought and tried DD in leisure but not as a need to sleep out Hopefully this weekend

Having difficulty finding trees the right diameter and distance apart

B and T

I had that trouble too, so used a ash tree that we cut down to make an A frame, then positioned another trunk between two trees , both hammocks tie from one tree and onto the A frame, sorted

http://youtu.be/kxsR8Qu3XOg
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:20 pm

we have added another support to our area, watch our goosefest video to see that correct distance trees are not a problem
Dexter's Shed

Postby The Barrowers » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Used hammock last weekend, tied between close spaced small birch in the rain Had a lovely night except getting out to wee Someone suggested getting lanyards attached to zips to assist closing Worked great Good Idea

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:39 pm

The Barrowers wrote:Used hammock last weekend, tied between close spaced small birch in the rain Had a lovely night except getting out to wee Someone suggested getting lanyards attached to zips to assist closing Worked great Good Idea

B and T

that someone was me in my video :D
another addition I've done which makes setting up so much easier and faster is to add woopy slings, using the webbing that comes with the hammock, adding these clips that I purchased in a horse tackle shop, and then using the additional webbing that was left over to make the slings with, not only does it make setting up quicker, but it means the hammock tension can be adjusted quickly without untying knots, also stops rain from running down the cord and onto hammock

one last excellent tip I found was, when your in the hammock, you can end up in a banana shape, so when in and laying straight along the center, move your feet 18" to the left (off center) then move your head/shoulders 18" to the right, for some technical math reason, don't ask me why, but it stops you from sagging in the middle, try it, it works
Dexter's Shed

Postby Zenith » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:18 pm

I've got a hammock question as well. My wife is dying to camp in our wood but, after two knee and a hip replacement operation, she finds it hard to get off the ground when camping. I think a hammock may be the answer and have been looking at the Hennessy hammocks. The one I'm looking at is the Explorer Deluxe because at 6' 3" it is one I would be able to use myself on occasions.

It seems good on You Tube, but I was wondering if any of you have used them or seen them in use.

Many thanks
Zenith

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:45 am

I can only vouch for the DD hammock, Im 6'2" and theres loads of room, I too have a iffy knee, so tend to set mine low to the ground, usefull if you get cramp in the night, you just roll out,lol

film is a bit long,

http://youtu.be/SQ8GmxJgp7M
Dexter's Shed

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance