Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chinese copies

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Chinese copies

Postby MartinB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Please tell me this is a joke thread.
MartinB

Postby MartinB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:47 pm

You're a braver man than me then.

Go onto Arbtalk and see what they have to say about these saws, and it's not just because the are being snobbish.

The chances of getting spares for the saw is slim to zero so when it breaks down, you'll have to bin it.
The chain brakes are poor on these saws and that's the thing that stop it trying to saw you into more than one piece.
IIRC, the rear handles are a weak point too.

If you don't value your own safety very highly, then go ahead but I feel very reassured that I have a Husky saw, made by a company with a good reputation that is going to around when I need spares and has been tested to Euro standards and hasnt just had a sticker put on it and when I use it I am wearing Stihl chainsaw trousers for the same reasons.

I'm not being over dramatic or trying to be a smart arse or anything like that.
These saws are not upto standard and you could get fatally injured by it especially if your trousers came from the same place and the saw cruises straight through them.

Please go onto Arbtalk and ask the pros on there about them. Your life could depend on it.
MartinB

Postby Chunkymunky » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 pm

It only takes one bounce back to put it in your leg or a guard to fail through poor design or quality.
Chunkymunky

Postby Chunkymunky » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 pm

That last comment is classic.
Chunkymunky

Postby MartinB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 am

For less than £100 more you could get a 40cc Husky that would be perfect for the kind of sawing you want to do and will be a delight to use aswell as being economical, reliable, light and with spares so it will last for decades.
A cheap and nasty 60cc monster with a 20" bar is going to be a real handful aswell as being a piece of junk.

I hate to go on about this but you have made a poor decision and are risking life and limb for sake of a bit more money.
MartinB

Postby Wilbert » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:03 am

If you want to save a few quid over Stihl or Husqvarna but still have a top quality saw, have a look at Dolmar. I've had mine 7 or 8 years now and it's done a fair bit of work with no bother whatsoever, starts and runs like new. I knew nothing about them when I bought it but I'd done a few other deals with the gentleman selling them and took him at his word as to how good a saw they were and like all the other stuff I bought of him over the years, he was spot on again.

I've a Stihl disc cutter and had a Husky chainsaw in the past but I have to say if I needed another saw different in some way to this one, I'd probably go with Dolmar again.
Wilbert

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:46 am

Have a look for thompsons in sellers on the bay. They have mccollach petrol chainsaws. They are round about the £100-£120 mark for a smaller one. Have found mine very good and if you check the part numbers out they are basically budget husky so parts are interchangeable and upgradeable.

http://bit.ly/Xmys79
Chunkymunky

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:01 am

Hahahaha ha
Chunkymunky

Postby MartinB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 am

ratcatcher wrote:ok ok, maybe a mistake on the chainsaw, I'll still see how the strimmer fairs though, have you a link to this husky one?, dealer?

love the save on socks joke

Glad to see that you've had a change of mind. :)

Generally, dealers are not allowed to post Husky and Stihl saws. You have to pick them up in person.

So, what you need to do is phone round your local dealers and check that they will price match any prices for saws that you have found elsewhere.
Most dealers do as they want the custom.

The saw I had in mind was the Husky 135. It's on page 2 of this site.
http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products ... chainsaws/

Its not as big and powerful as the monster that you bought but is ideal for what you want to do.

HTH.

Alternatively, you could convince your tree surgeon friends that they should treat themselves to a new saw and let you have their old one at a bargain price. ;)
MartinB

Postby MartinB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 pm

ratcatcher wrote:
MartinB wrote:
Generally, dealers are not allowed to post Husky and Stihl saws. You have to pick them up in person.

The saw I had in mind was the Husky 135. It's on page 2 of this site.
http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products ... chainsaws/

cheers, did a google search, and found one that would deliver free of charge
Husqvarna 135 Petrol Chainsaw
with 14" bar total £175

That's great but a little surprising. Who is it if you don't mind me asking.

I would encourage you to pop along to a dealer and have a look/feel of one before you buy.
MartinB

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance