Small Woodland Owners' Group

breaking-in new chains and bars

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

breaking-in new chains and bars

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:46 pm

What's the view on any preparation needed on new chains and chainsaw bars, particularly whether it's necessary to pre-lubricate?

I use a Stihl MS-260 chainsaw with Rollomatic E bars (13", 16", and 18" length) and Oregon 22LPX full chisel chain loops (bought as boxed loops rather than being made-up by the supplier off a reel of chain). I've been using the saw for around six years and have bought and used new chains in that time without giving any consideration to breaking in the new chain. The chainsaw manual doesn't make any reference to it being necessary.

I've had a couple of problems of late (which I think are related to blocked oiler holes, see separate post) but has made me ponder whether the chain and bar should be pre-lubricated when being fit new and whether any breaking-in process is appropriate.

The book "Chainsaw Operator's Manual" by Bernard Kestel (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0643090282) gives a breaking-in procedure for new chains to ensure it is thoroughly lubricated, summarised as fit and tension chain, pour oil onto chain and bar, run without load at half throttle for a minute or so, stop and allow to cool retensioning if necessary, cut for 2-3 minutes at half throttle, stop and allow to cool retensioning if necessary ... chain is now ready for use.

We certainly didn't cover anything like that when I did my training.

What do others do and think?
SimonFisher

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance