Small Woodland Owners' Group

Portable woodburner stoves

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Portable woodburner stoves

Postby jennysmate » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:56 pm

Has anyone used a frontier stove? http://www.campingsolutions.co.uk/stoves/frontier-stove/
Seems ideal for me. I could use it for camping, then in the shelter (when I get around to building it) and at home, on the patio.
jennysmate

Re: Portable woodburner stoves

Postby MartinB » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:36 pm

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77049

He seems to like it.

I daren't show this to my G/F as she will definitely want one.
MartinB

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:52 pm

I bought one to use in our wood. Due to the weather last year we've only used it three times but it works fine. Portable enough for me to carry down and up our steep wood. Seems well made and easy to assemble. My only niggle is the removable plate to cook direct over the fire is very near the front and most of the heat ends up near the back. Overall very good though and if you are worried about open fires in a wood a great option.
SitkaSpruce

Postby Solar Wood » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Hello all,

How about a small sized oil drum, cut lenghtwise with a couple of old wire shelves out of a discarded fridge rested on a few bricks.
An open fire, I know, but 2 of those style did us a full dinner on Christmas day in our shelter (a large tarp between two trees) Windy, Wet, Muddy and Wonderful.
£140!!
Oh and we leave it in the wood as it would be a very sad person who decided to steal it.

B and T
Solar Wood

Postby jennysmate » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks Sitkaspruce, definetly buy one now. It has the advantages over a cut oil drum of being safer, more efficient and can be used inside a tent or building.
jennysmate

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Interestingly it was developed for emergency use and is sent out in a Shelterbox kit
SitkaSpruce

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance