Small Woodland Owners' Group

fire lighting kit

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: fire lighting kit

Postby splodger » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:03 am

i find a box of matches and a bit of old paper more than adequate for lighting fires - and much cheaper :P
splodger

Postby RichardKing » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:23 am

Luckily the human species did not need to have a shop nearby during its taming of fire.
The materials are all around you.
RichardKing

Postby tracy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Enjoy it Ratcatcher! Silver birch bark is a great fire starter too :lol:
tracy

Postby Rich » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 pm

Well this isn't very 'bushcraft', but in winter when I've always got my chainsaw and therefore petrol, I take a zippo lighter with 2 spare flints tucked under the wading.

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Keith Williams » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Video of firelighting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlwplZ2mTSA
I'd say from experience whichever ignition method you use the most common error is not having enough dry, small sized wood to catch the flame and keep the fire going. It's definitely worth spending some time gathering plenty of thin dry twiggy bits to take the flame.
Keith Williams

Postby Terry » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:26 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:I'm sure we've all played Ray Mears, but the novelty wears off after the first 20 fires.

If you do you to use a fire steel there's no need to buy fatwood / cottonwood kits. The flowers in your wood from a 'pussy willow' will ignite just as well and cost nothing.

I find you can't beat a plastic lighter, a small bit of firelighter cube or paper and a few Hazel twigs. For bigger fires, bundles of dried brambles really go 'woof.'

BTW, Hazel twigs make fabulous kindling for a woodburner. I was burning quite a bit of brash, but now realise its great fuel to get the logburner started at home. Every other day I bring back a bundle of dead hazel twigs under my arm as kindling. Hazel is wonderful fuel, really burns well.

We hear about the mighty Oak, the graceful Ash, most people wouldn't even recognise a Hazel, but its a highly underated tree. Coppices superbly, very shade tolerant, great for wildlife, Fab fuel, very supple when green allowing loads of craft uses. Love the stuff.

Agree with OCP there - we have used a good bit of it and find it comparable to ash, as long as it is kept dry as it deteriorates quite quickly if it gets damp for what ever reason :oops:
Terry

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance