Small Woodland Owners' Group

getting a new toy - yay

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

getting a new toy - yay

Postby splodger » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:34 am

i have finally managed to convince my dad to buy a new bit of kit for using up the woods
he has agreed to buy a stihl pole pruner (which we will pick up tomorrow) and i just can't wait to get going with it - there is so much pruning to do and this little beastie should make that a fair bit easier / less laborious - i'm so excited :D

what new toys are you going to treat yourself to ?
splodger

Re: getting a new toy - yay

Postby Bulworthy Project » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:13 pm

We've just treated ourselves to an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill. It's a lot of hard work to use, but results are great! After all some wood is too good to turn into charcoal.
Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby splodger » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:28 am

we have been talking about trying one of those too - but haven't really got enough of the right timber to make it worth while financially

re the pole pruner - that's hard work too (for me anyway) but it should help to get me a bit fitter :roll:
splodger

Postby Rich » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:40 am

I've got a logosol, and I've found they are great if all you want to do is plank up a couple of benches or a table now and again. The critical thing is to keep the cutters sharp, I found I was going through 3 chains before lunch then having a very boring afternoon sharpening up!

Also I think you should look at the saw you intend to use with it. I use a stihl 361 with mine, which is quite a powerful saw, but ploughing through chestnut or oak at full throttle for lenghty periods won't do it any good. I tried it on some larch just recently and was a bit disappointed, although it was easier, it wasn't 'that' much easier :(

more info and Mike's review here

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1205

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance