Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chainsaws

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby markieg31 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:24 am

going back to the first post... What a bargin on the saw!!

with regards to sharpening.. you shouldn't need to sharpen your saw unless you have touched the ground with it. cutting wood should not dull the chain so much that cutting is not possible

you should be able to cut for days with out sharpening if you dont find stones, mud or metal.

markieg31

Re: Chainsaws

Postby Alex » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Very true^

Sorry if it's against forum etiquette to post in quite an old topic.

Unfortunately one of my saws has been a bit abused, by cutting up old furniture, and hitting a few too many metal objects.

My grandfather was always the one to sharpen the chain, however due to ill health he's unable to do as much, I'm also busy doing much more on the farm now, as well as a full time job. Anyone have any advice or tips to chainsaw maintenance?

Might just be my own bad luck, but something is always going wrong with them.
Alex

Postby tracy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi Alex

SWOG always strongly recommends a chainsaw and felling course for all users, and the courses include maintenance. It's worth doing :P
tracy

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:20 pm

tracy wrote:SWOG always strongly recommends...

Who do you mean when you say "SWOG" recommends?
SimonFisher

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:35 pm

ratcatcher wrote:
SimonFisher wrote:
tracy wrote:SWOG always strongly recommends...

Who do you mean when you say "SWOG" recommends?

the Small Woodland Owners Group

I know fine well that SWOG is an abbreviation for Small Woodland Owners' Group.

The question was, who or what's view or policy is being quoted? Tracey may well recommend this, that, or the other - and in the case of chainsaw training, I personally am inclined to agree with what she suggested. Is it some official SWOG policy though?
SimonFisher

Postby tracy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:17 pm

Good point. We have not got an official swog stance on this either,(as in voted for by the members) I shall be more careful with my words. Yes. It is me who strongly recommends safety and chainsaw courses. The swog staff and those who pay for us all agree, we promote chainsaw courses. That is what I meant. Hope this helps!
tracy

Postby Terry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:18 pm

There are quite a few resources online regarding chainsaw maintenance. Cant vouch for the quality of a lot of it, but there are certainly some good ones on sharpening chainsaws.
Other forums have useful resources as well - try Arbtalk - mainly pro tree surgeons/arborists/firewood merchants etc who obviously have a lot to say about chainsaws.

As already suggested, basic chainsaw course is probably the best route.
Terry

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance