Small Woodland Owners' Group

Log trolley

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Log trolley

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:31 pm

a tree feller friend that came to our woods, sent me a link to these, and as good as they look, I could not justify the price tag, so I got my dexter head on and started thinking outside the box, and came up with this, a carpet trolley, rated to 500kg, and picked it up from e bay for a mere £17 :D it's shape holds the logs very well, and although it does not have a pull handle (yet) with a strap at the front with one person pulling, and one person at the rear to stabilise it, it worked very well, and of course, if it ever got pinched, I won't be crying, although it does get padlocked to a tree

and heres the oak logs we moved with it.

Dexter's Shed

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Love the carpet trolley. My wood is steep and rough so hauling anything is tricky but this could work!
SitkaSpruce

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:51 am

even if you buy a new one, I found them at around £80, mine came from a carpet warehouse selling on e bay, but you could try asking in local shops, we are getting a small sit on mower, minus any cutters, I'm sure with my dexter head on, will be able to link the two together
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 pm

If you do a search on Fleabay for 'Garden Trolley', there are hundreds available, much like the £450 log trolley, but more like £50-75 with 4 wheels.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:33 am

oldclaypaws wrote:If you do a search on Fleabay for 'Garden Trolley', there are hundreds available, much like the £450 log trolley, but more like £50-75 with 4 wheels.

yeah, we also got one of those too, from germany via e bay, they are a decent little pull along, but no where near man enough to load full sized logs, we use it for taking stuff too and from the car, and collecting firewood etc

Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:33 am

As I'd have thought most of us are using logs for firewood and have small woods with only a few hundred feet max to move them, theres really no need to carry a huge log, I'd have thought all you need do is chop it into small pieces after felling, and then use the most convenient way to take it off site or to your woodpile, either in a wheelbarrow, on an ATV, or on a 'garden trolley'. I find the most satisfying method 'over the shoulder'. If its a timber log, its going to be too large for any manual trolley and will either need a tractor to drag it to the road / processing site, or a mobile mill to come to it. In summary, isnt the need for a manual trolley for biggish logs something of a not-needed white elephant?
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:13 am

as I've not explored all of our woods yet, I can't say if we have any white elephants there, but as for the log trolley, you'll see in my picture, we used the large lumps of wood to frame our fire area, yes I know its wood which will burn, but as yet hasn't, you may not need to move large logs, but other owners may, for whatever reason known only to themselves, my post simply highlighted the fact that it could be done without spending fortunes on moving equipment
Dexter's Shed

Postby splodger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:40 pm

i was up the woods today - and took a few pics on my camera - then remembered this thread - so thought i'd take a pic of our homemade log / post trolley.

it might look a bit odd and very homemade - but it works extremely well and is effortless to push along when loaded up

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg
splodger

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 pm

that looks a great idea splodger, I suppose the length helps to keep heavier logs on the balancing point
Dexter's Shed

Log trolley

Postby Bearwood » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:36 am

The simplest ideas are often the best. I like that very much indeed Splodger; it must make life a great deal easier.
Bearwood

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance