Small Woodland Owners' Group

New wood store

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby hornbeam_mad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:31 pm

For years and two houses my mother has moaned at dad about the tatty A frame log store covered in red acrylic and scruffy tarpaulin.

He came up with this idea for a new wife friendly log store.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ALc3FYZDemdmdU_zA6yYYtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0? feat=email

This is the prototype made from hornbeam and sizal (not sure of the spelling but it sounds right to me) rope threaded through holes drilled in the wood.

This one is much sturdier than I expected.

The finished ones will give us an internal volume of roughly 2cubic metres and will not contain any nails, wire or pallets. The front wall will probably have to be half height to get the logs out. Also it shouldn't be too difficult to break them down, burn and replace as and when its needed.

I spent yesterday felling and marking up the required 2.5m stems for building the permanant ones.

Im rather proud of my dad :)

hornbeam_mad

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:50 pm

The link isn't working for me!

SimonFisher

Postby hornbeam_mad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Think I fixed it :)

hornbeam_mad

Re: New wood store

Postby Green_wood_chippy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:05 pm

I scavanged lots of pallets, carefully took them apart and with a length of old roofing felt made this one, It cost me a fiver for hinges and the catch. I've stained it now so it loos a little better and give me over a cubic meter outside the back door.

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 6085_n.jpg

I think a purchased one would have cost me £100 or more.
Green_wood_chippy

Re: New wood store

Postby tracy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Its brilliant!
tracy

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance