Small Woodland Owners' Group

DIY version of the Oregon (multi-log) Saw Horse

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

DIY version of the Oregon (multi-log) Saw Horse

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:03 am

I tried to buy one of these Oregon Log Saw Horse's just before Christmas (2011) but it seems there was little if any stock in the UK to be had. I decided to make up something of my own, matching the spacing of the uprights to allow me to cut 250mm logs with my 16-inch chainsaw bar.

Here's a two-minute video of it in use. It's speeded up to x5 real time.

http://www.viddler.com/v/5cee0168?secret=63769405

I have to admit to being rather pleased with myself on this one as it's so much more efficient in time and chainsaw use than cutting one log at a time.
SimonFisher

Postby jillybean » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Nice. its fun in x5 speed!

jillybean

Postby tracy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Yeah! That is brilliant, well done!

tracy

Postby Hobby » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:12 pm

Quality

I love the way you rigged it up and filmed it out the front of your house on a residential road.

Your neighbours curtains must of been twitching.

Didn't half make me chuckle !!!

Rgds Hobby

Hobby

Postby Rich » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:38 am

Great job on the saw horse Simon!

I've tried home made versions but none as good as that one. Do you find with smaller more regularly round cords that they tend to spin when you put the saw on them? You can counter this exactly as you have done by putting larger more irregular pieces on the top and this holds it all down when you cut!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:02 am

The first time I used it I applied a couple of ratchet straps to hold the wood firmly in place but found that the wood settles and drops as soon as you start cutting and the straps become loose. After that I didn't bother with the straps and as you've observed use a couple of the more substantial pieces on the top as weights.

The uprights are I think something like 45mm square, the pieces at the base are 150mm gravel board. Each upright is held with 3 x 5mm screws. The uprights have already developed play. The next version I build will use more substantial timber, and I'll use bolts instead. I've also just found out that my chainsaw will take an 18-inch bar, so I may increase the size slightly. It does make it quite heavy to move around though.

SimonFisher

Postby Justin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:20 pm

That's fabulous, definitely going to remember that for when I have need.

Justin

Postby The Sawyer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:20 am

Looks good I have seen people using this sort of thing over the years, it works well and is cheap to make. I didn't know that you could buy one all the one I have seen have been home made. I have even seen old brooms sticks used as the uprights although this restricts the amount of wood you can cut in one go.

ttfn kester

The Sawyer

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance