Small Woodland Owners' Group

do I need to check the gap on a new spark plug

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:27 am

I have a new spark plug for my chainsaw. It's an NGK 4626 BPMR7A for a Stihl MS-260.

Do I need to check/adjust the spark gap before fitting or will it already be correctly set?

SimonFisher

Postby bat » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Hello, I doubt if a chainsaw will have that exacting an engine but then I suppose a proper one like a Stihl might, so checking it won't do any harm - only takes a second with feeler guage, if you have one and, if not, its a worthy investment of a couple of quid or so. If you bought the plug from your chainsaw supplier, I guess it should be ready to go, otherwise might be worth a check, especially if perchance you are unlucky enough to drop it (that will nearly always knock the gap off). It also helps to clean the thread of the plug-hole with a bit of white spirit on a rag to get a really clean seal on the new plug. There's more than meets the eye to delicate art of changing a plug.

bat

Postby SteveA » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:32 am

as above, it will never hurt to run the factory specific gap (provided by saw/motor maker) the same applies to any petrol engine (2 or 4 stroke)

i would say...... unless there is a massive bit of damage/huge gap/no gap to the sparking end of the plug, they are so good nowdays that normally you just stick it in and away you go!

(if the plug is going to be in a long time/all weathers ide recomend a small amount of copper ease on the thread to stop it binging and make rempoval 100% easyer when the time comes)

(im a mechanic)

SteveA

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance