Small Woodland Owners' Group

waste oil as chainsaw lube?

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby happybonzo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:59 am

I must admit that I had not considered the aerosol effect from chain oil; presumably the spray from "normal" chain oil is equally harmful?

happybonzo

Postby woodbodger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:44 am

My experience over 40 years now is that specific chain oil is a must with its sticky property's on blades of over 24 inches under that as long as you use something it doesn't seem a problem. The biggest cause of damage to the blade is jamming in the wedge of a tree that you are cutting; over time this will cause the groove down the blade to subtly open out and the saw will no longer cut so well.

woodbodger

Postby Miles » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Ah. Wise words from woodbodger there which explains much, to me anyway who has much to learn it would seem. Ho hum.

Miles

Postby wrekin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:18 pm

@happybonzo: the same carcinogens aren't present in new oil.

One of the advantages given for using biodegradable chainsaw oil is that it's basically cooking oil rather than a mineral oil so liable to be better for you to breath in (if slightly fattening ;) )

http://hutters.uk - Woods, huts, cabins, sheds, forestry
wrekin

Postby happybonzo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:21 am

@ "wrekin" - that explains a lot then: I'll blame chainsaw oil spray next week at Slimming World 8-))

happybonzo

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance