Small Woodland Owners' Group

waste oil as chainsaw lube?

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby happybonzo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:34 am

Is there any reason why you shouldn't use used engine oil as chainsaw lubricant? There's a man near me and that's all he ever uses. His chains don't seem to fall to bits any quicker than mine do and he cannot remember when he last bought a new bar.

Any comments?

happybonzo

Postby RichardKing » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:56 am

Used engine oil is full of nasty environmentally damaging toxic chemicals & heavy metals that are produced during combustion, plus wear from bearings etc.

In any case, chain oil has the same spec as gear oil, not engine oil. Old engine oil will have an even lower spec.

Draw your own conclusions.

RichardKing

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Perhaps the word "used" is a starting clue. Would you put used engine oil in your engine for lubricant?

SimonFisher

Postby wrekin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:41 pm

A general problem is that used engine oil causes cancers (presumably because using it in hot engines starts to bake it into the aromatic carcinogens you also get in smoke, tar, fumes etc.) It needs to be handled carefully when drained from engines and disposed of, so reusing it isn't a good idea. Using it in a machine that whirrs it round and round, spraying some off the end constantly and turning it into a breathable aerosol mixture even more so!

http://hutters.uk - Woods, huts, cabins, sheds, forestry
wrekin

Postby Miles » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:29 pm

I just bought 5 litres of Husqvarna chain oil for 15 quid which seemed very reasonable and won't invalidate me guarantee either like old engine oil would methinks! No excuse for spoiling the ship etc. at that price really.

Miles

Postby happybonzo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:08 am

The saw that the matey uses is some 30 years old so I don't think that he's too worried about warrenties.

happybonzo

Postby Stephen1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:48 am

Happybonzo "His chains don't seem to fall to bits any quicker than mine do and he cannot remember when he last bought a new bar."

I can only assume 30 years of inhaling hydrocarbon chelated heavy metal aerosols have affected his memory!!

Stephen1

Postby Hobby » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Suggestion for the self- righteous folk, have a word with yourselves....the blokes only asking a question !!!

Hobby

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:00 pm

And now we all know the reasons not to!

SimonFisher

Postby Hobby » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Exactly, the world of the self righteous belongs to other forums and not mild mannered woodland folk.....your apology is excepted.

On a happier note:

The suns out and the bluebells and wood anemones ( Anemone nemerosa) are peeking through the woodland floor of our kentish wood.

Greek legend says that Anemos, the Wind, sends his namesakes the Anemones, in the earliest spring days as the heralds of his coming. Other sources claim that the flowers only opened when the wind blew. The second part of the name nemorosa refers to its woodland habitats and derives from the latin ‘nemorosus‘ meaning ‘wooded or covered with trees’.

Just a point of interest ( or not ! ) for anyone who's waited longingly for the return of a fragrant filled spring woodland.

Hobby

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance