Small Woodland Owners' Group

Which crosscutting jig?

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby Miles » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:14 pm

What do people recommend on here from their own experience? Two I have looked at are the Makita Log Holder and Tim Fogden's Log-Loc, but without actually using them it is hard to evaluate build quality and effectiveness in use. Any input would be most welcome. Thanks.

Miles

Postby Max » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Miles, I have a sawjaw logga which I find very good for wood over about 8cms diameter. It is stable and very effectively holds the wood. It is available from green machinery and there is also a video which can be viewed through their site.

Max

Postby ncrawshaw » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:29 pm

I suppose it depends on what you are wanting to do. I use a Buckingham Woodstation, http://www.jocemetal.co.uk/page2.htm which I find is excellent for cutting logs. When I fell the trees, coppice etc, I cut the timber into three foot lengths and leave to season, splitting the larger diameter pieces. Then onto the Woodstation for converting to logs. About seven loads fills my Land Rover LWB pickup and takes me about 35 minutes to do on my own. With someone to help with loading/unloading it takes half the time.

ncrawshaw

Postby Miles » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall have a good look at those on the old Interweb.

Miles

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:29 pm

We've had a Log Loc for just over three years and am very pleased with it. The design works well and it's robust enough to do the job without being too heavy or awkward. The folding stand, drop-in upright and removable jaws means it takes up little space for storage or when in the car being taken between home and wood. It allows you to cross-cut one piece of wood at a time and for that I think it's very good.

Looking to find a solution that would allow me to cross-cut more efficiently (many pieces of wood a a time), and having see Mike Pepler's solution I was disappointed to find that no-one had any stock of the Oregon Log Saw Horse at the back end of last year. I've now built my own version out of wood. It doesn't fold, and it's quite heavy but it should do the job - it's only very recently finished and as yet untested.

As an aside, I've also recently bought a Clark Forest Log Jack. It does exactly what it says it does and saves the heavy lifting.

SimonFisher

Postby Andy M » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:46 am

I think the Log-Loc is a fantastic bit of kit - get one now!

Andy M

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance