Small Woodland Owners' Group

Clarke Forest Log Jack

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Anybody using one of these or similar?

Clarke Forest Log Jack

What do you think of it?

SimonFisher

Postby Hobby » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:50 pm

£120 !!!!!!!....surely its just a substitute for lifting a fallen tree onto another to gain height when logging.

If there's anyone considering buying this then please call me first.

I'll gladly do the lifting for half the cost....I'm available all year round at a days notice.

P.s, can I bring Isaac, my Black lab along for assistance .

Hobby

Postby happybonzo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:27 am

I haven't seen one of these things before and think that it's a clever idea but ... You would need to ensure that the pivot point was on some pretty firm ground to avoid it digging in but I'm quite happy to be proved wrong

happybonzo

Postby Max » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:30 pm

I have one of these and think that it is excellent. I am in the process of thinning out our wood and unfortunately have a bad back, this piece of kit saves me bending over to lift the trunk off the ground. It is very stable and does not dig into the ground. Hope this helps.

Max

Postby tracy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:16 am

On a coppice harvesting course we learned about creating a 'bench' for felling into - so that the logs don't land on the floor. Works well!

http://www.swog.org.uk/articles/coppice-harvesting-efficiency-part-1/

There is a little info on it there - all you need is a strop (not a screaming fit) and a long tree to hook into it. Then you land the other trees on the 'bench' and can easily sned and cross cut as it is off the ground. The picture will make more sense than my Saturday morning typing!

tracy

Postby happybonzo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks for the update "Max" It's just when I saw the pivot point I thought that might be a source of trouble

happybonzo

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Just to follow up on my initial posting. I bought one and have used it on about 15 trees so far, of between 150-350 mm diameter. The design works well and it's robust enough to do the job without being too heavy or awkward. It does what it's meant to do. Highly recommended.

SimonFisher

Postby Crispin Rogers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:21 pm

I have had a Oregon Log Jaw for many years and have recently aquired a Logrite Loglifter. I have also used a Timberjack supplied by Northern Tools. I am most suprised at some of the comments I have read, as such tools know as Timberjacks or Loglifters have been around for a very long time!!!

I would make the following comments. Prices range from about £30.00 upwards. Of such tools currently on the market The Northern Tools Timberjack has a very robust wooden handle but although the cheapest is far too heavy. Next up in price would be the Westfalia Tree Trunk Lifter at £39.99 followed by the Clark Forest Jack. Top of the range is the Logrite Log Lifter at around £150.00. On both the Northern Tools Timberjack and the Logrite Log Lifter the the 'lifter' part can be removed and the tool can be used as a cant hook. The shaft of the Logrite is made aluminium and is fairly light weight, but very strong, and this is reflected in the price.

Crispin Rogers

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:09 pm

Do you have a web reference to the Logrite Log Lifter?

SimonFisher

Postby Crispin Rogers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:50 pm

You can find details the Logrite on www.logrite.com. On browsing through the latest Northern Tools catalogue I can across a new product the "Chainsaw Buddy" on page 24 for only £29.99! has anyone used this contraption?

Crispin Rogers

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance