Small Woodland Owners' Group

Alkylate petrol for the chainsaw

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby TreeWorks Uk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:11 am

Even the containers that the fuel comes in have been selected with the environment in mind. Made from polyethylene they can be recycled to produce other materials and energy.

I use that much of the stuff that I buy it in 200lt drums. I’ve switched all my 2 stroke equipment to it including my MS880 which is quite thirsty when milling timber.

I know quite a few other timber cutters that have switched to it too. Other big users include Gatwick Airport, RNLI, Kirklees District Council, and Leeds City Council amongst others.

TreeWorks Uk

Re: Alkylate petrol for the chainsaw

Postby Terry » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:54 pm

the more you buy the cheaper it gets. Not sure what a 200ltr drum cost you tree works but I bought either 12 or 15 (cant remember) x 5 ltr bottles and it worked out just over twice the price of petrol, minus the 2 stroke oil.
Terry

Re: Alkylate petrol for the chainsaw

Postby Stephen1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Terry wrote:the more you buy the cheaper it gets.

The more I buy the poorer I get... But if I'm working in dense woodland on a still day then I think it's worth it. I think you buy it from a benefit to your machinery and health rather than as a 'green' choice - I think overall the balance between the ecological benefits at point of use and production make it an ever so slightly positive green choice, but you can acheive more 'green points' per pound spent in many other ways.

(If you have asthma, COPD or other chest issues it is perhaps of more significance than for the rest of us.)
Stephen1

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance