Small Woodland Owners' Group

Cordless electric chainsaws

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby Bellhurst » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks for all your comments folks but we've drifted off-topic! Well, I've just tried out my new aforesaid Trueshopping (awful name) cordless chainsaw. Came fully assembled & adjusted, with charger & even a bottle of oil. Just £65 direct from TS, said to be half price. Tough looking bit of Chinese kit, 10" blade, no 'safety cap' on the end to get in the way. But light, 2.8 kg (6 lb) inc. battery which takes 10 hours to charge from flat, a long time. First impressions after using a mains chainsaw - quieter, less powerful, blade much slower. But cuts well, just takes longer. Also nice to handle, good balance, excellent hand grips & trigger. Will report later on battery life once I've had a proper session with it. If you want the bees knees buy a Stihl for £300+ but heck, £65 isn't much to lay out and it's got to be better than a bowsaw!

Bellhurst

Postby carlight » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:46 pm

glad you got sorted ,as ever any chainsaw is only as good as the chain is sharp .

(pedrx ="thin discs" on ebay ~50p each . take care .)

carlight

Postby Pedrx » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Thank you Carlight.

Pedrx

Postby Bellhurst » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Right folks, just had a good session with the Trueshopping cordless. About 35 cuts through 3" dia. dead poplar on a full charge. Full power till the last 2-3 when noticeably fell. Should get 40+ in pine, 25 in live hornbeam. Double those numbers for 2" dia., halve them for 4". Stihl claim more than twice that from their super-duper 36V Li-ion battery but their cordless costs £270 and even spare batteries £125 a pop, while Trueshopping's saw is £65 direct (£75 from Amazon!) & spare 18V Ni-Cd batts just £15. The Black & Decker GKC1817 was a competitor, but Amazon has just upped that to £108 and some reviews on their website are highly critical ('only got 10-12 cuts 3-4" dia.', leaking oil, fiddly adjustments needed, awful instruction book, none of which I've found with the Trueshopping saw). Also, the T/S has a fully usable 25 cm blade narrow enough to get between close coppice, while B&D's is wider with a cap on the end and only 16 cm is usable. So far so good. Buy the Stihl if you need a real quality tool and think it's worth it, or try the T/S with a couple of spare batteries for <£100 all-in. A real boy's toy but don't anyone call it the Fisher-Price My First Chainsaw!

Bellhurst

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance