Small Woodland Owners' Group

Cordless electric chainsaws

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby Bellhurst » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Anyone used these on small coppice? Many of the reviews of the Black & Decker GKC1817 criticise it for its limited battery life. The Makita saws get mixed reports. Both are under £100, as is the new Trueshopping 18V 10" saw with Oregon chain & bar (just £65), no reviews yet - has anyone seen or used this? Next level up seems to be the excellent Bosch and Stihl models but they're £300+. Advice welcome, if only to steer clear.

Bellhurst

Postby greyman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Bellhurst,

I've got this Makita:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-buc122z-cordless-chainsaw-18v-(body-only)-prod784492/

I've been using it on the Hazel to cut to length for our charcoal kiln when I'm moving stuff up to the pile. You've got to have 2 charged batteries - at least - and if you use it up to the full size dia cut you will get roughly 100 -125 'cuts'. The 'safety' bit on the end of the bar is a pain as it restricts the cut (it's there to stop one from getting 'kickback' by bad practices) when you get large diameters. I've not used it on coppice yet as we tend to use 'Silky' saws as they are exceedingly sharp, quick and retain thier edge (actually so sharp you need to wear a glove on the hand your not holding the saw in). I shall have a go at using the cordless drill on the coppice soon but I'm not convinced it will be any good on the smaller stuff.

Love, bananas and seasons greetings to all

Greyman

greyman

Postby carlight » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:56 pm

hi . think i must have the same as you , greyman , 18v li-ion and all that .' body -only' ,about £150 ,batts £50-£100 each , rather disappointing that the £100 genuine makita batteries suffer with faults ,but have been fortunate to get them replaced (thanks to axminster).(have no experience of the pattern/£50 batts)

Only got mine to save firing up a petrol saw for little jobs in the shed .I removed the anti kick-back bit. I find the chain adjuster is a bit weak ,but the saw was prob not designed for plunge cuts !

If i wasn't comfortable using a wee top handled petrol saw , i prob would use it outside of the shed .

100 cuts per batt sounds very good re efficiency , cheaper types will prob be very dissapointing .

carlight

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:33 pm

I've got one of Makita's too - the BUC122Z 18 volt Lithium-Ion, bought as body only as I already have other tools from the Makita 18 volt range. Haven't used it for coppice work but have used it for cutting small diameter logs to length. I agree that the anti-kickback cover (which restricts cutting to the straight parts of the bar) can be a nuisance as it makes getting through those logs that are just that little bit too large in diameter a little tricky to say the least. For small diameter coppice work, I suspect (as greyman thinks) that a Silky saw is probably just as quick and easy. I quite like the Makita for the smaller stuff as I don't feel the same need to don the full safety outfit that I would if using my Stihl petrol chainsaw. I've never had it falter when used within its intended capability. I'm not sure I achieve the 100-125 full size cuts per charge that greyman reckons but I guess it depends on what you're cutting amongst other factors. Maybe he has newer batteries than me!

I have two batteries and I find its the waiting for the charger that's the limit on continuous operation once you've gone through all of the batteries you started out with. When away from the mains, I drive the charger via a small inverter connected to a 12 volt supply - in my case an emergency jump-start unit.

My only real complaint about the saw is that it slowly leaks chain-lubricating oil when not in use, and for that reason mine lives in a plastic box so as not to leave oil all over the workshop/car. Maybe this is where others tell me they don't get this and I realise mine actually has a fault :-(

SimonFisher

Postby Pedrx » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:44 pm

These makita 18v lithium-ion 3Ah batteries are amazing. Bought 4 about 2 years ago and am building up a range of power tools. The wife received the cordless vacuum for Christmas - only about £40 if you have the battery and she's very impressed too. The little chainsaw is perfect for pruning jobs and using it full time I have not run out of charge using only 2 batteries with their 20 minute charging time. Then there's the various drills, circular saw, jigsaw, planer, screw gun, etc etc are all surprisingly efficient.

May seem expensive but if they complete the estimated - 2000 charges each I think - then theoretically they would last me for 30 years. In practice though something irresistibly superior will be available and I'll probably be dead anyway.

Pedrx

Postby carlight » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:55 pm

-now then , what you really need is the makita cordless angle grinder -absolute joy of a tool !

( ps , i have the wee blower ,which is handy in the workshop - are you refering to that proper-looking vac ,and if so is it really any good ? ta.)

carlight

Postby carlight » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:58 pm

(ps to simonfisher- mine doesn't leek . could this be "thin-oil-syndrome" ?)

carlight

Postby Pedrx » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Hello Carlight: haven't I just been talking to you about chainsaw oil. Yes, the angle grinder. That's my next purchase. If you're trying to make me jealous you've succeeded.

It's the BCL180 vac. Not a blower, no, nor a proper vac. Just a light hand held affair. Like all these cordless tools it doesn't have the 240v power of course but the convenience. So often a small job gets delayed or not done because of the mither of getting the machine out, often the extension - not entirely laziness: priorities too.

We bought the Dyson cordless a year or two ago which was quite impressive but it doesn't get much use now we have the Makita.

Strange you should describe it as a wee blower. On another forum, regarding the chainsaw oil we discussed tonight, someone suggested I 'send Stihl a wee sample'.

Pedrx

Postby carlight » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:51 pm

not trying to make you jealous , but am most pleased to hijack the thread towards vacs !!

Would have to say that i do have proper 240v grinders ,but the cordless is v handy ,and now we can get skinny metal cutting discs ,i bareley use a hacksaw .

Might go for the vac with my next axminster order .

(ps the makita batts don't like being left 'low' - much bad press - at least they replace iffy ones foc.)

carlight

Postby Pedrx » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Yea, let's rename this place The Small Vac Owners Group. I know the cordless saw has skinny blades to reduce resistance but what's this about skinny cutting discs?

Didn't know about the low battery issue. Thanks.

Pedrx

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance