Small Woodland Owners' Group

saw horse for logs with chainsaw clamp

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby Henrietta » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Afraid not Richard, this was just our personal experience.

Henrietta

Postby RichardKing » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:09 pm

So its just an opinion.

Do you have ANY evidence whatsoever that damage to the chainsaw was caused by the log device ?

RichardKing

Postby Henrietta » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:57 am

Of course it's our opinion, and no we don't have any evidence to present to you. I am not aware of any research on this and suspect that if anyone else experiences this, then that will be their opinion also. I think what my other half was saying, was that the damping down of the chainsaws vibration, inbuilt in the chain saw by the manufacturer, is somewhat overridden by the clamping to the saw horse, which he also felt would somewhat negate the built in safety to the operator, but as I said this is only an opinion. I might be very careful in future to only post whereby I have research references to back it up.

Henrietta

Postby RichardKing » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:45 pm

I wish to make several observations (opinions) regarding the Portek device with chainsaw attached :-

1. The main body of the chainsaw continues to vibrate significantly (as is normal) & appears to be unaffected by its attachment to the Portek.

2. Damping of potentialy harmful vibration to the operator while holding the handle appears to be unaffected, since the damping springs/rubbers continue to operate.

I am unable to understand why you believe that damage to your chainsaw is related to the Portek since you dont present any evidence.

I am not a great fan of the Portek (as per my mixed review), but I do believe that it is of fundamental importance to clearly distinguish between opinion & fact.

RichardKing

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Henrietta, thank you for your comments and the views you've given as a result of your experiences. I haven't yet purchased such a sawhorse and may well now be looking at an alternative solution anyway albeit for different reasons.

I did however share concerns similar to those which you have suggested. I expect that using a chainsaw in this way is not in line with the method of handling and operation which the manufacturer will suggest be adhered to and I personally would be surprised if they recommend or endorse the clamping of the chainsaw bar in this way. I do not understand enough about the design and operation of the chainsaw to be able to support any idea that it could cause damage to the chainsaw.

Your input however was very much appreciated.

SimonFisher

Postby Henrietta » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Thank you Simon. I have already contacted the technical department at Stihl's and await their reply.

Henrietta

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:24 pm

I shall be most interested in their comments. Yours is/was a Stihl saw? Mine is.

SimonFisher

Postby Henrietta » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:40 pm

The original chainsaw used was a cheap one and not a Stihl. The bolts wore away and the carburretor fell out and couldn't be fixed back because of metal fretting. Although we then attached a Stihl MS 180, the vibration to the handle was more than it should be and we decided not to use it further. For the last couple of years we have used the stake method of placing several lengths of wood inside, and cutting through them all.

Henrietta

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:24 pm

Actually, the device I'm now looking at is I think along the lines of that. It's the Oregon Log Saw Horse. I'm suffering from what is commonly known as tennis elbow, aggravated by lengthy use of the likes of a chainsaw, and specifically my 'trigger' finger. I had considered that using a clamp type saw horse would alleviate the strain, which it may well do, but perhaps getting through a significant stack of wood one piece at a time will be lengthy. If I can cut a number of pieces of wood at the same time, then the time I need to hold and use the chainsaw will be minimized. As it's for use at home on hard-standing, driving stakes into the ground isn't an option. This looks like a convenient and portable solution. I'm awaiting a response from the supplier as to the minimum length of chainsaw bar needed to cut through the wood stacked on the saw horse.

SimonFisher

Postby Henrietta » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:08 pm

I have just watched the Oregan saw horse on You Tube and it looks very impressive.

Henrietta

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance