Small Woodland Owners' Group

Sherwood Power Head c/w bits

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby happybonzo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:30 am

Sherwood 49cc Long Reach Hedge Trimmer Pole Saw Strimmer Brush Cutter 5 in 1

Has anyone used one of these from Sherwood? I used the smallest 34cc one earlier this year and was quite impressed. Sherwood also make a this 49cc model and a 52cc model.

I wondered if anyone has some long term use from these Sherwoods before I part with any money?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sherwood-49cc-Long-Reach-Hedge-Trimmer-Pole-Saw-Strimmer-Brush-Cutter-5-1-/280747325601?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item415dd838a1

happybonzo

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:13 am

I guess you are after a response from someone with the exact item / kit?

I use the Stihl KM100R Kombi-tool with similar attachments which has a 31.4cc engine.

That seems quite adequate and I'm quite pleased, but I abandoned the metal blade for a head with disposable plastic knives which is a very good half-way between tough strimmer line and metal blades.

Like all these things, how far do you go with size, robustness and cost, consumables and spares...

Meadowcopse

Postby RichardKing » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:23 pm

The same model is sold under a multitude of brand names.

Have a Stihl myself, like above, similar comments.

RichardKing

Postby happybonzo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:32 pm

@Richard King - If you of any of the other names to look out for it would useful

I already have Husky saws, brushcutters etc. It's just that a friend wants a hand at his place in France and it would save a lot of space for me with a multi-tool setup like this

happybonzo

Postby happybonzo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:42 am

I have ended up buying one of the Mitox 281 systems - I'll keep you posted as to how well it performs.

My initial impressions are that the tubing is of sufficent thickness and the plastics appear to be ABS. The engine may be run on Aspen 2T so that's a bonus as far as I am concerned

The hedgecutter also folds up to half its length for transport and has a full 220 degree movement

I'm not too sure about the harness that comes with the unit. It is a simple over the shoulder type and I have found those to be uncomfortable in the past

Anyway, onwards etc

http://www.mitoxgm.co.uk/product/281-mt.aspx

happybonzo

Postby happybonzo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:56 pm

Well, I have now run the run the Mitox for a week of very hard work clearing the slopes in our Quarry. The pole saw has performed far better than I expected it to.

The Hedgetrimmer has also dealt with an acre of Bramble that has been beyond reach for too long

So far, I'll give the Mitox a vote of confidence

happybonzo

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance