Small Woodland Owners' Group

Oh Deer!

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Postby tracy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:59 am

As I mentioned in my write up from the Butterfly conference on the Future of Britain's wildlife - deer were mentioned often. The problem of tooooo many of them eating the understory and tree regrowth. A SWOG member has written in to ask me this question: Comments please!

"The deer have become a real problem now in our area - browsing newly coppiced hazel to the point of killing the stools, nipping the buds of coppiced ash so they don't grow straight and eventually become dangerous when they start to reach maturity etc. It is becoming a talking point as to whether or not we coppice in the further (as we don't want to finish up with a dead understorey)."

Thoughts?

tracy

Postby Rich » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:49 am

Here on the edge of the Ashdown forest we have intense pressure from deer grazing, but have had real success in keeping them out with an 1800mm tenax fence. There should be no problems getting a woodland improvement grant for this, if you use your own poles, the grant might just cover your labour and the cost of the netting, (assuming you only allow for the minimum wage!) It is hard work though and not everyone is able to weald a post pounder whilst balanced precariously on a stool so if this is the case, it might just make it less viable.

I joined the Surrey Sussex Coppice Group this year and they are trying to get a group buying scheme going. This has saved us a lot of money, the Lower Mole valley project is the distribution point

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Lower+Mole+Project+-+volunteer+sites?opendocument

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am

We have a lot of deer in our woods. The only way that we can get trees to grow is to fence. We did some clearing around young oaks around three years ago and these have not grown due to constaint browsing.

Tenax fencing is good if you want to keep out the deer, but is useless if you want to keep out the rabbits.

Debris netting is £24 per 50 metres compared to £170 for 100 metres of Tenax and the debris netting is rabbit proof. If you make your own poles this brings down your cost more. I use cable ties as well which are a cheap and quick option. The only thing with cable ties is when the pole season you have to tighen the cable ties. I buy the 2m tall debris netting so there is plenty to keep the rabbits digging underneath.

Darren

Postby tracy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 am

Is this a countrywide problem, or mostly in the SE?

tracy

Postby The Barrowers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Hello

Have a look at Heras fencing (on internet) which are large fencing panels you see around building sites. Available at reputable sales points or possibly available at building sites that are completed at the cost of beer money.

I have not used these but they were a thought before I protected 130 hazel and sweet chestnut saplings individually (I have concerns about the Hazel as they are tasty to non humans). The minus point is that they may be difficult to transport as they are large panels but I think once in situ on posts rammed in to the earth they will be good. anyone used them??

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Rich » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi Darren,

How does that debris netting stop the rabbits? Isn't it made of polyethene monofilament? I'm not doubting you, but I would have thought rabbits chomp their way straight through it?

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Exeldama » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:15 am

It seems to be more widespread as the invasive species add to the problem. With only the Red and Roe being native they are being hugely supplemeted by the Fallow (romans bought it ), Muntjac (escaped from various menageires), Sika (ditto) and the Chinese Water deer (ditto ditto). There was aslo another a few years back called i believe the axis deer (or was it Atlas.?) anyway not heard of that for a few years.

Bottom line the Muntjac and Fallow are going nuts. Forestry conmmssion want them culled properly with yearly totals being as high as 30% in some areas.

They cause thousands of accidents on the roads each year and are frankly a pest at these levels.

Fencing may be a personal solution but it isnt a long term one given that we cant just fence off the whole of the countries woodlands. And im sorry but in my view its really unsightly to suround a whole wood with fencing (small cants fair enough).

The only effective solution is shooting by a qualified marksman and utilising the meat to go back into the economy, isnt that what used to happen all be it for the benefit of the largely privaleged Lordship and his entourage.

I live just outside a major city and Muntjac are everywhere, they can beeen seen walking up the main shoping streets at night and they live in rura l and urban gardens everywhere. The goverment introduced a restriction on their rerelease a few years back that stopped them being introduced North of i think Lincs but idots as they are they were already on the Scottish borders by then..prob 30 years too late. Chinese water deer are now as far North as Peterborough/Lincs border.

Exeldama

Postby Darren » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi Rich

As far as I know it's polyethene thingymejig. I think because of it's close mesh, rabbits don't seem to get there teeth into it. I've used it around the bottom of my Tenax fence for the last few weeks and no sight of hole. Proof is in the pudding as they say. Next year when I finish coppicing I will just use debris netting.

Darren

Postby Rosebay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:45 pm

As Exeldama said, putting up fences is not a practical solution. We can't fence every bit of woodland in the country. We need to cull to stop the deer getting totally out of control and destroying our woodland. Does anyone know a good marksman willing to cull?

Rosebay

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm not convinced that culling deer will make a difference. I had one deer get inside my coppice last year and it ate just about everything going. It only takes one deer.

Darren

Return to Wildlife