Small Woodland Owners' Group

Deer Mangement Plan

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Postby James M » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:20 am

Try here:

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/woodland-activities/deer-stalking-and-woodlands/

If they think you are wanting to shoot then you will have your work cut out getting permission to do that, and the chances are they will have someone already there if there are significant numbers of deer.

James M

Postby david scott » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:18 pm

As a deer stalker for over 25years , i must say it is refreshing to find someone who is quite willing to put in the extra effort for no personal gain .

Generally stalkers if there are any there have already assessed the state of the herd, the population and general sex ratio , after seeing a certain amount of damage where it occurs and the height of it , then an the amount and sex and species of deer can be generally agreed .

Alot of surveys can be done by deer droppings being counted

The main problems if the deer are Roe, then they have usually twins every year ,as do Muntjac so both species are successful in expanding and this expansion stops in-breeding but with Roe they can inter breed ( i have shot two roe with both female and male genitial ) . So a survey can help to stop this so can stalkers , also get in touch with the police reference road accidents in the area involving deer, the wildlife officer for the area should help you here .

The best way to survey them is to use with permission the high seats that the stalker uses, early in the morning and late evening i do not think you will gain any thing by staying overnight except a bad nights sleep.

If the species is Fallow then they mainly travel through the wood leaving a master buck and a few does so it would be difficult to assess .

As James suggested if there are alot of deer then stalkers are usually present and guard the area jealously and do not like other people assisting with there job. They also should keep records of all deer shot, where, when, sex, weight,species, and any problems like one antler etc this might help your interest.

If asked to control deer in an area i would normally survey an area for a few days first and submit my findings and reccomendations to the estate and agree a policy

all the best any other questions or points please get in touch

david s

david scott

Postby James M » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm a member, how do you get to be a tracy?

James M

Postby Darren » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:51 pm

can i be a tracy too!

Darren

Postby tracy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I doubt my poor husband could handle any more Tracy's! He might think that one is more than enough...

I assume you mean you all want to be Key Master? Nah, you really really don't, I assure you. ;-)

tracy

Postby James M » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:55 pm

I meeeen david's membership grade is 'tracy' - is that like 'group enforcer'?

I was too frightened by ghostbusters to want to be a key master.

James M

Postby tracy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:57 am

Oh! Ha ha, that is so funny, I wonder why that is there? I know I helped him with a new password, but it the admin bit it says he is a member.... hmmm! Will try to 'fix' you David!

tracy

Return to Wildlife