Small Woodland Owners' Group

Todays Stalking/Tracking

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Postby tracy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:03 am

Wow, Leigh, sounds great.

Do you ever see any wild boar? we have them in our wood, but never see them. Which tracking books would you recommend for beginners?

tracy

Postby Keith Williams » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:55 am

Super stuff Leigh. Reaching for your camera moves you from 'observer' to 'hunter', it's not necessarily bad luck but subliminal messages you're sending out. I take pics for natural pathways bushcraft school, which I offer for sale. Anyone in the South East (Essex/Kent) would like photos of their Boars or whatever and would let me camp out in their woods, please let me know...

Keith Williams

Postby James M » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:50 pm

"Which tracking books would you recommend for beginners? "

It's in your blood, Tracy - it's what nature designed you for and modern life has not yet managed to evolve you out of it.

Don't wash for a day, no smellies, go into the woods on your own and follow your instincts, you don't need to read any books.

James M

Postby Keith Williams » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:30 pm

I'm in the Tom Brown camp I'd say. Books are fine for learning the technical bit, transfer, compression release and so forth and of course for identifying how many toes rats have and what their deposits look like. James is also spot on that we have a lot of instinctive knowledge. When the obvious signs disappear, just sit back a bit and let the instincts kick in. It can seem mystical, but I'm sure it's just that you're responding to very small indications you're not consciously aware of. There's also the whole area of knowing the animals you're tracking and how they behave and react...

Keith Williams

Return to Wildlife