Small Woodland Owners' Group

Pest Control - Shooting - Responsible Shooters

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Postby Catweazle » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:34 pm

I think this reply to MartinD is worth its own thread. There is a world of difference between the responsible shooter and the local chancer.

I have had ferreters on my own land with limited success. Ferrets work well in "young" warrens, warrens in woodland can be old and therefore deep and complicated. The older the warren the more likely the rabbits to run around underground and not come out into the nets, also the more likely the ferret will chase the rabbit down deep into a dead end which means the ferret will kill the rabbit and feed upon it whilst the ferreters radio tracking equipment cannot track it deep enough.

I've been down this path.

Shooting is better in old woodland, but as you've found out there are shooters and there are cowboys.

I have been shooting vermin and a member of the best forums for many years, if you can give me a rough location I can probably find you a responsible shooter to control your vermin. You meet the guy, check his insurance and decide, no pressure.

If anyone else wants vermin control there's a reasonable chance I can put you in touch. I won't just post a link to a shooting site, that would be stupid as anybody can join, but I will forward your requests to established and responsible shooters, after 5 years membership I know the decent chaps from the fools.

I should say that I am not looking for a shoot myself, my 17 acres keeps me busy, but I'm a keen shooter myself who would like to put good shooters in touch with woodland owners. I reckon that my 5 years shooting forum membership makes this safer than you just putting a request on-line and hoping that the respondent is a decent fellow.

If you want a pest controller eMail be at [email protected] and I'll see if there is a responsible shooter in your area.

Catweazle

Postby tracy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:02 am

This is helpful thanks. What kinds of prices would we expect to pay? (or can we exchange meat/ wood for shooting?)

Is it better to have someone in for a week to cull loads, or once a week/ once a month...?

tracy

Postby Catweazle » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:13 pm

You won't be expected to pay anything at all, there are loads of enthusiastic adult hunters out there who will do the job for free if they can keep the meat.

I have found that regular visits are best, even once a week will make a real difference, expecially to squirrels.

Catweazle

Postby limeguy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi there,

I am an enthusiastic airgun shooter of 4 years and live with my wife in East London. As this is a hobby for me, I would love to offer my pest control services free of charge to anyone who would need it.

Should anyone require pest control I can travel to anywhere in Kent, Essex or anywhere within 1 and a half hours of London. Currently I have full insurance and membership with the British Airgun Shooters' Association, whilst regularly helping with pest control at a farm in Essex and an oil refinery.

My preference is to shoot edible quarry (wood pigeon, squirrel, rabbit) however I would be happy to control corvids and the other pest species on the open general license should you want me to.

I would be completely respectful to any wishes you have with regards to when and where I can go and can also be an extra set of eyes and ears for you on your property.

Should you be interested in eating anything that I catch, I would be happy to prepare some for you also.

If anyone would allow me this honour then please feel free to contact me on [email protected]

Kindest Regards,

Guy

limeguy

Return to Wildlife