Small Woodland Owners' Group

red squirrel?

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Postby steve rollnick » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:43 am

Can anyone help us?

We saw this small possibly young squirrel in our wood this weekend, and it had a sort of dull red on its underside. Is this a red squirrel?

Thanks,

Steve

steve rollnick

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:56 pm

probably not? Greys colour seem to vary. I've seen a black one in my woods. Where abouts do you live?

Darren

Postby Rod Taylor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Agree with Darren, Grey squirrels in the USA seem to have quite a bit of red colouring although not seen any sign of it in our greys. Perhaps you have a recent imigrant or a throw back to what I assume is their more natural colouring.

Rod Taylor

Postby steve rollnick » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:35 am

Rod, Darren,

thanks a lot. Our wood is in Mid Wales, just outside Llandovery, 20 miles West of Brecon......

Steve

steve rollnick

Postby andy w » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:34 am

Hi Steve,

From my recent experience of working in forestry in Wales I understand that there is a reasonably healthy, although limited in distribution, population of reds in mid-Wales. These are mainly in places like Tywi, Irfon and Crychan Forests I think, which are not too far from you.

Although I agree with Rod in that greys colour does seem to vary more than the reds perhaps, because of where you are it could be a red. If you want to dig further I would suggest contacting the 'experts' on reds in Wales.

See - www.snh.org.uk/ukredsquirrelgroup/WalesForum

www.redsquirrels.info

http://www.wwbic.org.uk/redsquirrelproject

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/Redsquirrel

All the best, it would be great if you got reds in your wood and the above groups would be able to advise on how to best manage your woodland to benefit them.

andy w

Postby steve rollnick » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:47 am

Andy,

that's really very useful. I am making contact with the biodiversity officer in Carmarthen council, thanks to you, and we'll do whatever we can to get red squirrels into our wood. My partner Nina says she an all-red squirrel some time back.

I'll keep the forum posted.

Steve

steve rollnick

Postby John H » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi Steve

Our woods are also near Llandovery, we have two plots one either side of the town.

Do you live close by or are you like me and live miles away?

We bought ours from the FC about 3 years ago.

John

John H

Postby steve rollnick » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi John,

were moving off squirrel talk, so maybe let's just get in touch....... you can email me on [email protected] and it will be really good to make contact. I live in Cardiff....

I love that area around llandovery, and if any of this group want to visit, just get in touch.

Kind regards, Steve

steve rollnick

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:13 am

I postive I.D is most likely the way forward. This goes without saying, but don't put out traps if there is Reds in the area.

on another note I've seen Reds living near Herne bay

Darren

Return to Wildlife