Small Woodland Owners' Group

Red Squirrels

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Postby Exeldama » Mon May 18, 2009 9:36 pm

I remember seeing them when i was little 30+ years ago, in Sussex. Gone now..so sad. I wonder if we can ever get them back again.

I have handled a fair few Grey ones and they are vicious little so snd so`s, all teeth and attitude.

Other than the isle of white, scotland , wales andparts of the north east does anyone else see Reds about still.

Exeldama

Postby DaveTaz » Thu May 21, 2009 8:11 am

Our wood is in north wales and have been told that reds are less than 15 miles away.

We only see occassional greys, and the damage they do to our beech trees is remarkable!!

How ever I've recently found evidence of lots of pine cones that have been eaten (fresh) and the central cores have been left in tact (like an apple core). The area of pines we have is about 3 acres in the middle of ash/beech woodland and not very easy to get in to. From what I've read so far this feeding is more typical of reds than greys.

Anyone able to enlighten me further?

Have started to put peanuts out in couple of places and in process of setting up viewing hide. Hopefully we will get some furry visitors and we can then see what they are!

DaveTaz

Return to Wildlife