Small Woodland Owners' Group

Survey on reintroducing lynx to UK woodlands

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Survey on reintroducing lynx to UK woodlands

Postby mikepepler » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:25 pm

A friend contacted me about this research project, which I hasten to add is not part of any ACTUAL plan to reintroduce lynx! The idea is to get people's reactions to a hypothetical introduction in two areas: Forest of Dean and Scottish Highlands.

So if you live near or own woodland in one of those areas, do visit the site and fill in the survey:
http://onemanandhislynx.com
Mike
------------------------------
My blog: http://peplers.blogspot.co.uk/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/mikepepler
mikepepler

Re: Survey on reintroducing lynx to UK woodlands

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:38 am

It would be interesting if a predator could be found which would keep deer and squirrel numbers under control without being a danger to humans or livestock. Lynx are like all members of the cat family beautiful looking creatures. The potential problem is anything like a 30kg Lynx which is big enough to take a deer would also eat sheep, game birds and might even take a young calf (?).

Its tragic that the supremacy of humans at the top of the food chain is endangering so many other majestic and highly evolved species, from sharks to big cats. The planet and ecosystem is a victim of our success.
oldclaypaws

Postby Rankinswood » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Lynx are not that large or particularly threatening to humans or livestock. They tend to be reclusive and will avoid contact with humans.

Photo supplied by kind permission of The Oxfordshire Woodland Group.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby davetb » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:31 am

My woods connects with the Forest of Dean.
Our main aim in managing it is increasing biodiversity and improving the fauna and flora.
However, I have children & a dog who roam freely in my wood.
I am already afraid of boar in the woods ( no sign yet ).
I allow FERA to conduct studies in my wood every year to try to find where the young male boar disperse from the Forest of Dean.
As a woodland owner who values the natural world I should love the reintroduction of lynx, however as a parent and dog owner I know I would be terrified.
I have refused to contemplate a shotgun ( in case I wound something ) - but if lynx were to be reintroduced I suspect my irrational fears would surface.
davetb

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:43 am

not that large or particularly threatening to humans or livestock

From Wikipedia; (That oracle of accuracy?)

It feeds on a wide range of animals from white-tailed deer, reindeer, roe deer, small red deer, and chamois, to smaller, more usual prey: snowshoe hares, fish, foxes, sheep, squirrels, mice, turkeys and other birds, and goats. It also eats ptarmigans, voles, and grouse.

We've not had any here for that long its hard to predict what their behaviour would be, sure they're shy and not a threat to humans, but sounds as if they have quite a wide diet which would threaten many smaller livestock, particularly sheep and pheasants. Taking out a large chunk of the Roe population would be very welcome. Can't see it happening due to objections from farmers.

I believe without predators Boar are spreading and causing a few problems. They like rooting up lawns and football pitches, and are potentially quite dangerous. Their natural predator is Tigers, so maybe we need to release a few Tigers into the forest of Dean to control them ?
oldclaypaws

Postby Bulworthy Project » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Isn't eating more venison the best way to control deer numbers?
Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:32 pm

It wouldn't be a bad move if the government stopped paying to pointlessly and cruelly shooting badgers and spent the money instead on a bounty put on deer and grey squirrels (and bankers) and other proven pests.

Even the governments own experts now say the badger cull failed, TB was falling anyway, and its not been humane- their information is being ignored and suppressed.
oldclaypaws

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Boar apparently generally not as dangerous as largely suggested. very shy animals but cornering them can be dangerous like many frightened animals.
Have to say was pretty scared when sitting quietly in dark in south of France when the oinking snuffling noises got vv close! small noise sent them all running.
Many of the predators suggested for reintroduction are never going to be a goer due to the controlled and heavily populated nature of our small island. even the very rural bits have people and animals living in them- nothing like wilds of Canada or the far north of Europe. I'm sure lynx would go for the easy tactic of lambs etc rather than a large red deer.
SitkaSpruce

Postby Terry » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:53 am

From personal experience living in the Forest of Dean with wild boar on our patch, they are indeed extremely shy and keep themselves to themselves.
I regularly camp with the children up in the woods and we listen for them rooting around, but they never approach the camp - presumably due to the smell of fire and us.
Similarly often startle one nipping down the track to or from the village pub and they are off like a shot.
There is no reason to be overly scared of them, although you clearly dont want to corner one as they will try to survive and if that means running through you, I am sure they will.
Going by the size and speed of them, I know I would be coming off second best in that scenario - even if I am fit and 6'6".
I tend to shuffle the stones on the track as I walk to make a noise so as not to startle them - the suffling has nothing what-so-ever to do with my neighbours excellent cider mind!! :roll:
On occasion when I have spotted them before they spotted me, and presumably the wind was in the right direction I have observed them from within 10m as they go about their business in the undergrowth completely unaware of my presence.

They can be a bit destructive with the verges down the track and once the garden is established will have to fence them out, but quite like the fact they are around and they are just doing what they need to to survive.
Mind you, one or two have ended up in a neighbours freezer over the last few years when they have got carried away in his fields, but in the absence of any predators a little culling can be a good thing.
We have video of a sow with 14 half grown piglets in the garden from a few years ago and have purchased a maplin camera as recommended on here to get some more footage.
Terry

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:59 am

Terry wrote:From personal experience living in the Forest of Dean with wild boar on our patch ... We have video of a sow with 14 half grown piglets in the garden from a few years ago

Can you put the video somewhere so we can see it?
SimonFisher

Next

Return to Wildlife