Small Woodland Owners' Group

Woodland Bees

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Woodland Bees

Postby davetb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi,
We had a colony of honeybees in a hollow tree, in our wood.
Sadly they didn't make it to the end of summer, never mind over the winter.
Yesterday we sited a Warre beehive in the wood.
We are hoping it will be found by a new swarm.
We don't intend to interfere / take any honey, but hope it is a more suitable home than the hollow trees.
I'll keep you posted.
Fingers crossed.
davetb

Re: Woodland Bees

Postby Andy M » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:35 pm

Always thought I would have bees, but now that I have woodland I have got adrenaline injections instead after a very close shave and an afternoon in A/E. Was almost pleased to be able to use 112/999 instead of responding to it!
Andy M

Postby Chunkymunky » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 pm

What's a good way to encourage bees to the wood? My uncle has a small meadow beside his wood and that has plenty of flowers. He toyed with the idea of honey but would also like them to cross pollenate in the woods too.
Chunkymunky

Postby docsquid » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:01 pm

We have two colonies of wild honeybees in the wood, living in hollows in trees, and they have been there for a few years - they are around again this year. One formed a swarm two years ago, which was wonderful to see.

Encouraging bees depends on what type of bees you want to encourage - they ALL help with pollination, but obviously if you want honeybees, then you will do something different from solitary bees or bumble bees. Hollows/holes in trees that are large enouch for a honeybee colony need relatively old hollow trees. Smaller holes in trees, or small bird nesting boxes, can be useful for other bees. Then providing hollow sticks for solitary bees, such as mason bees can also help - a bundle of cut hollow bramble or elder stems will be suitable. Finally, look out for ground-nesting bees - little holes in the ground are often home to small groups of bumblebees.

Bug hotels are also good for solitary bees - and other insects - these can be formal, or via informal bundles of brash, logs and stems.
docsquid

Return to Wildlife