Small Woodland Owners' Group

squirrel advice

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

squirrel advice

Postby Brown » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:55 am

Hi,
I suspect that I have squirrels in my predominantly Birch woodland but I've never seen them. There seems to be evidence of bark stripping in the upper branches particularly. I've spent a significant amount of time working in the woods but have never seen any squirrels. Is this possible? Any recommendations on types of trap also welcome.
Brown

Re: squirrel advice

Postby Brown » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Thank you very much for the trap advice. I'm pretty sure I don't have red squirrels and I'm not convinced I have Greys either,'coz I haven't seen the blighters. I think the humane traps are less expensive and I was thinking about getting one to confirm squirrel existence. Having said that, you might say that the only good 'grey squirrel' is a dead 'grey squirrel'. Thanks again
Brown

Postby Alex » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 am

Getting the squirrel from the trap to the bag...bet that wouldn't be easy?

Anyone have any squirrel recipes?
Alex

Postby Rich » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:26 am

Alex wrote:
Anyone have any squirrel recipes?

Slow cook, they are very tough, wirey critters and you'll need to skin it and casserole or similar for a couple of hours, the meat will fall off the bone. I see all these macho type bush crafters tucking into grilled and bbq'd squirrel which only serves to put people off as it's so tough! So make a lovely stew with elderberry wine and a handful of wild garlic or whatever, offer it to your friends and neighbours, pretty soon they'll be back for more! Equals happy friends and neigbours, a healthy healthy low fat meal, and happy trees with less damage!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Return to Wildlife