Small Woodland Owners' Group

Fox in the barn

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Re: Fox in the barn

Postby jennysmate » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:25 am

Alex wrote:, in my part of the world, it's a completely different kettle of fish, horses and posh gits wouldn't ride on the slopes up here :lol: , none one is dressed up and it's done amongst local farmers, it's not legal, but it works, on an average hunt, atleast 3-5 foxes are killed. These happen 3-5 times a year in my valley alone, countless foxes manage to escape the hounds..

For the reasons I've already stated, this is still cruelty.
The fox doesnt care if it's the "posh gits" hounds or local farmers dogs,that are slowly ripping it apart and neither do I.
jennysmate

Postby Alex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:56 pm

I see your point and respect your humanity towards animals.

Farmers don't keep foxhounds, and I really doubt my sheepdogs would 'slowly rip a fox apart'. But I know what you were trying to suggest.

Nothing more cruel than nature itself, and the more in touch with nature you are, the crueler you become, of course I'm not feral, far from it, I've saved as many animals as I have killed, but those that I have saved, haven't been vermin.
Alex

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:00 pm

And what is "vermin" other than a convenient tag to place on any animal which we deem to be something we don't want there because it interferes with what we've decided is the way things have to be?
SimonFisher

Postby Sparrowhatchforestry » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:31 pm

I think posts like this generate an array of different opinions that all depend on peoples lifestyle choices and the effect that the “pest” in question has on their life, livelihood etc.

I know farmers that regularly shoot foxes on their land because they eat or kill chickens, ducks, and pheasants and without undertaking this form of management their livelihood is affected. I don’t shoot foxes on my own, or anyone I work for’s land, because they don’t cause me a problem (they eat rabbits and squirrels that do cause me a problem!)

It is the same principle when managing grey squirrels, rabbits or deer (except you can’t eat the fox), their presence is affecting their prey, whether this is livestock, crops, trees, gardens or anything else.

Through the services offered to landowners we manage all of the above species, but only where needed and only in line with management plans. If you can accept the effects that the predator has on the prey (plants or animals) then there is no need to control and generally you won’t understand why others choose to, if however you are suffering economically or environmentally (Loss of habitat etc) then you will have to decide the best option for your situation and in my opinion shouldn’t be judged for this, as long as what you do is ethical and in line with the law.
www.Sparrowhatchforestry.co.uk
[email protected]
Sparrowhatchforestry

Postby Alex » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Very well rounded way of looking at it.

Vermin includes foxes, rabbits, magpies, crows, badgers and of course hippies.
Alex

Previous

Return to Wildlife