Small Woodland Owners' Group

Fox in the barn

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Fox in the barn

Postby Alex » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:32 am

Mangy fox caused the dogs to go nuts the other night, found him behind the bales, looking a mess and half dead. Got the gun and put him out of his misery.
Just hope the dogs or myself don't catch anything from it, ground is too frozen to bury him at the moment, I presume his weakness and disease led him to seeking out a warm place, poor thing.

Anyways horrible to see animals slowly dying and suffering like that. I know from reading some old posts around this forum, there's a lot of animal loving-misguided do gooder's, but seriously I'm sure this fox would of preferred it if he had died instantly from being ripped apart by dogs, or expertly shot by a marksman.
Alex

Re: Fox in the barn

Postby jennysmate » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm sure this fox would of preferred it if he had died instantly from being ripped apart by dogs

I dont believe every fox caught by dogs ended in instant death.
jennysmate

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:06 pm

ratcatcher wrote:
jennysmate wrote:
I'm sure this fox would of preferred it if he had died instantly from being ripped apart by dogs

I dont believe every fox caught by dogs ended in instant death.

you have read his post wrongly, he says he is sure the fox would have preferred his method of dispatch, ie shooting, RATHER than being taken by the dogs

I don't think so.

I read Alex's post as saying it's better for the fox to be killed (instantly) by dogs or by him shooting it, than for it to die (slowly) because of mange. And Jennysmate I believe is disagreeing with his assertion that attack by dogs would result in instant death.

Interesting that Alex believes the fox has the thought process to have a preference as to how it dies. Perhaps that same thought process should have made it steer clear of Alex out there "in the middle of no where". Damn it, the badgers could have warned the fox - http://www.swog.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1340&p=7555#p7555
SimonFisher

Postby jennysmate » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:21 pm

I read Alex's post as saying it's better for the fox to be killed (instantly) by dogs or by him shooting it, than for it to die (slowly) because of mange. And Jennysmate I believe is disagreeing with his assertion that attack by dogs would result in instant death.

Thats how I read Alex's post too and my response.
jennysmate

Postby Alex » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 am

How long do you think it takes a fox to die, when it's had it's throat ripped out by blood hounds then? If not instantly.

It's not nice, but it's the best way that has worked for years, and please don't go into thinking I'm some sort of toff who rides on horse back, I'm just a simple farmer, who knows first hand, that fox numbers need to be controlled. Anyways I don't want to ruffle too many feathers, so I'll just leave it at that.

Just remember, a lot of foxes manage to escape the hounds, so you could say in some ways it's survival of the fittest. Much like nature.
Alex

Postby jennysmate » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:12 am

I agree with you, fox numbers need to be controlled.

I disagree with you that every fox, at the end of a hunt, has its throat ripped out cleanly.
Those that do escape suffer fear and stress, often leading to a horrible death later.
jennysmate

Postby splodger » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:22 pm

i have to agree with you on that one jennysmate - going back some 25 yrs or more ago - i was invited to take part in a hunt - i was a keen horserider and thought the riding would be good (which it was) but i wasn't prepared at all for the kill - at that time it was barbaric - i never went on another fox hunt - it was not only gruesome - it was downright cruel

i don't have a problem with foxes being killed / culled - but surely a single clean shot to the head is the most humane way of dispersal
splodger

Postby Alex » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:05 pm

I've never been or taken part in the upper class horse back hunt, I just patrol with the shotgun when the hounds are hunting the fox, in my part of the world, it's a completely different kettle of fish, horses and posh gits wouldn't ride on the slopes up here :lol: , none one is dressed up and it's done amongst local farmers, it's not legal, but it works, on an average hunt, atleast 3-5 foxes are killed. These happen 3-5 times a year in my valley alone, countless foxes manage to escape the hounds. One thing I will not condone though, is digging out foxes from holes, and killing mother and cubs, it's not hunting if the animal has no chance to escape. Personally I've never killed a healthy fox, and to be honest unless I was certain I'd kill it cleanly, would never bother to shoot at one.
Alex

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Alex wrote:One thing I will not condone though, is digging out foxes from holes, and killing mother and cubs

Why? If it were about pest control and reduction of numbers, surely that would actually make sense. Your arguments don't stand up.

Alex wrote:it's not hunting if the animal has no chance to escape

So it's a sport then - you and whatever pitting yourselves against the fox!

Alex wrote:it's not legal, but it works

Yes Alex we get the picture, out there "in the middle of nowhere" (as you have previously written), you can do as you please...
SimonFisher

Postby Alex » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Why? If it were about pest control and reduction of numbers, surely that would actually make sense. Your arguments don't stand up.

Of course that makes sense, and would effectively reduce numbers, but personally I think that's very cruel. Perhaps my belief that a fox being chased is fair game, and those that are just pups in a set is flawed. I don't care, it's my personal thoughts on the matter.

Yes, hunting is a blood sport. :| Personally I prefer football or rugby though :lol:

As for your remarks regarding my location, I have no idea why you are making a point of it? I bet this practice still remains in many locations.
Alex

Next

Return to Wildlife