Small Woodland Owners' Group

Looking to Rent/Share Woodland in Kent

Offers and requests for sharing/renting or using woodland for activities or help in the wood

Looking to Rent/Share Woodland in Kent

Postby Familyforager » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:38 am

Hi All,

My first day as a member and I primarily joined to see if anyone has any woodland in Kent they were looking to rent or needed any help with.
I'd be looking to use the woods for camping/learning/bushcraft with the children but could also help with any coppicing that needed to be done.
I'm a complete novice to managing woodland but have recently been on a coppicing course with Kent Wildlife Trust and am fairly good at lending a hand to most things DIY.
I'm based in Deal, but am willing to travel.

Here's hoping!

Regards

Jared
Familyforager

Re: Looking to Rent/Share Woodland in Kent

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:29 am

as a suggestion, I'd say put up a lot more info about yourself and family, try to include pictures etc, as a woodland owner Id be weary of saying yes to anyone posting on a forum without having some background info etc,
Dexter's Shed

Re: Looking to Rent/Share Woodland in Kent

Postby Familyforager » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi Dexter,

Thanks for that.
Ok,I'm 31 and we have 6 children, all girls aged 12, 10, 8, 6, 5 & nearly 2. My eldest is at Grammar school and our second eldest has just passed her 11+.
I try to get out and do as much as possible with the girls, but definitely get out at least once a week, my other half occasionally pops out with us, but, as you can imagine, enjoys a bit of a break from the children and therefore its usually me, the girls and the dog!
We fish (well, drop netting off of the pier or crabbing/prawning in Kingsdown rock pools), forage (as much as my limited knowledge allows, but I'm improving), shoot (just bought a .22 air rifle for me and the two eldest to use) and like to take the dog on long walks if the weather permits(we have a springer spaniel crossed with a whippet).
I feel it's important to get the girls involved in the "real" world, if thats what you like to call it i.e. away from TV and computers and involved in things closer to what I did when I grew up.
I'm a Structural Engineer, based in a practice in Canterbury and therefore don't have much spare time during the week, which makes the weekends very important for getting out and about.
There are a couple of woods near to us that we go walking in which are fairly well trodden and are popular with dog walkers, but I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable camping in them as they are quite small and not particularly "private".
I wanted to have somewhere where we could maybe build a small shelter, light a fire, camp in a tent and generally rally around in without worrying about dog mess and broken glass/litter or other people.
It may be a bit of a pipe dream but I thought I'd ask!

Many thanks
Familyforager

Return to Woodland - Share, Rent, Borrow or Volunteer