Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hi all, brand new here - seeking unpaid work experience

Offers and requests for sharing/renting or using woodland for activities or help in the wood

Postby Max.lawless » Sun May 13, 2012 8:27 am

Good Morning everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

My name is Max Lawless and I am a 23 year old about to start a National Diploma in Forestry &*Arboriculture at Broomfield college in Derby. I am looking to see if anyone in or around the east midlands - preferably Derby but I'm willing to travel within reason! So far I have emailed all of the local tree surgey companies I can find, also local woodlands, and the local council arborist team.

I have worked in an office environment for the last 3 years and have now realised that my skills and*attributes*would be best lent to a more challenging and physically demanding industry. Arboriculture & Tree Surgery is something that I have always taken a keen interest in, over the last year I have been researching and reading up on the subject to prepare myself for my college course. However, I understand there is only so much I can learn from an academic environment so I am eager to gain on the job experience before/during the course.

Over the next year I am looking to secure some work experience within the Derby/East Midlands area. My experience as a gas plumbing apprentice and familiarity with laboring tasks within a construction site means that I am comfortable with physical labor and working both within a team and individually. I am fit, reliable, and I feel with my enthusiasm I am able to approach any task with confidence. I am willing to undertake all tasks that are asked of me and am not afraid of a hard days graft. I also hold a full, clean UK drivers licence.

I am seeking unpaid practical experience but also any advice and direction in the field would be greatly appreciated. I am*available*to*work most weekends and occasionally evenings as unfortunately I'm at work Monday through to Friday but I'd be happy to book holiday off work If I can to go out for a day . Please feel free to contact me on my details below if you can provide any guidance.

Max Lawless

01332 799227

[email protected]

Max.lawless

Postby Rich » Mon May 14, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Max,

Thanks and good luck with your serch. Have you also tried http://arbtalk.co.uk/ there's lots of tree surgeons and foresters on there, probably more commercially minded which might be what you need.

cheers

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Max.lawless » Mon May 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi rich,

Thanks for the response! I have, I'm a member of arbtalk and they recommended me to this website as well.

I'll keep searching! Great little community we have here.

Cheers

Max

Max.lawless

Re: Hi all, brand new here - seeking unpaid work experience

Postby docsquid » Thu May 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi Max

We aren't exactly in Derby, but not far away (just outside Tamworth). We have a 20 acre site comprising about half ancient woodland and half newly-planted woodland/meadow that we manage for wildlife and use by community groups. We don't do any tree work in the summer, but in the autumn/winter we do coppicing and will be doing some thinning in one part of the wood, and if you would like to help us with this, and learn a bit about what we do, you'd be most welcome. We may have tree surgeons in to remove a dead tree next to the path as well. We are not professional tree people, but have learned a fair bit through the years. We have had other students working with us in the past including ecology students, countryside management students and others.

We are www.alvecotewood.co.uk - have a look at our web site, and see if you think this might be helpful.
docsquid

Return to Woodland - Share, Rent, Borrow or Volunteer