Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wilderness first responder course

Local group stuff

Postby Exeldama » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:48 am

I dont quite agree with Richard.

Wilderness in reality is not just an issue of comms. It is as much an issue of access. In the Uk there are many places and scenarios which can make rapid attendance of a victim difficult . Cumbria was a great example where the comms was compromised for a number of reasons and the actual acssess to some areas was almost impossible without a helicopter and they arnt your first aiders... (mainly bridges ). In fact comms in many rescues is far more difficult than the TV fiction suggests

In these scenarios having people out there with basic first aid is a life saver because they will be there before the fully qualified signing and dancing folk. . Many memebers of the traditional emargency services are ill equipped/trained to assist at the site of a non urban location and require the victim to be evaced to a neutral place first....thus again basic first aid skills and a little ingenuity is vital. Certainly for rescue work, common sense and flexibility add greatly to the sucsess rate.

Just a couple of wee tails.. a guy i know who is very highly trained had to recus a guy (near drowning/hypo etc)...the interesting bit was that he rescued him from what we call a recycling stopper..which is a part of the river that recycles its own water thus trapping a victim in what is basically a washing machine....... well after attempts with a throw line and no time for anything complex/boats etc..he dumped 5o foot of rope ramdomly in the river above this guy. This tangled him up and allowed for brute force to pull him clear , nearly strangled him and could have killed him anyway..but it was that or a dead man.

The second thought was about the oooh i cant do that culture... a first aider who refused to do CPR on a guy because being a woman it would contravene their particular belief/faith (on a mountain). People are weird.

Anyway... first respond/first aider etc..... bottom line do the basics they will be far more useful than learning complex craft...... oh and teach all your kids and the dog to.

Exeldama

Postby jillybean » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:34 pm

This Is a certificated UK first aid course. It just includes wilderness situations. I am writing a report having completed the course and will post it in due course.

jillybean

Postby tracy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:50 pm

We will be running this course again, in our woodland near Rye, 21 and 22 July. Let me know if you are interested.

tracy

Postby jillybean » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Wilderness First Responder course Hastings March 2011

Prompted to attend a first aid course by the realisation that I haven't injured myself or anyone else for ages, therefore some sort of accident is surely due to pass my way soon, I signed up for a course that had a reduction in price for SWOG members and had the added benefit of being tailored to, and taught in, the great outdoors. Less chance of falling asleep in a stuffy classroom whilst discussing a potentially fatal encounter with a photocopier, and more chance of dealing with gunshot /chainsaw /bitten by a badger type injuries.

A friendly and relaxed team greeted us on the saturday morning In a coppice woodland just north of Hastings, and after the usual introductions, 10 of us settled down to some practical advice from ex fireman and hospital resuscitation operative Andy Sullivan as he explained the principles and pitfalls of trying to keep someone comfortable and alive. As He spoke to us I realised just how much I didn't know. Things change too, what were hard and fast rules in days gone by have been swept away in a tide of new discoveries. In addition, it dawned on me we rarely have any equipment on us when walking,or just out and about and the smallest first aid kit with the right stuff in it can make a huge difference.

we were encouraged to ask questions which Andy answered concisely and honestly. at no time did I feel I was being lectured at and as a person with a low boredom threshold the day flew by.

On the second day the rain set in and turned our patch of woodland into a slippery mudbath. Undaunted, Andy’s team set up a series of live situations where we got to practice our skills in 2 teams of five. This is where it got really interesting, because suddenly we were thrown into rather distressing situations with some very good acting from 4 different people all professionally made up with cuts, bruises, ashen faced and passing out, even knowing it was make believe, the chaos and panic of trying to remember what to do was quite some memorable lesson.

Andy Sullivan and his team have worked hard to create as real an experience as is possible, and with their combined professional skills and experience they provided us with a valuable lesson I hope I will never have to use, but at the same time never forget. For the trolls who criticize, lets hope you never need help. well worth the money.

Jill Swan

jillybean

Postby Keith Williams » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:32 am

Natural Pathways are running an HSE Approved Emergency First Aid One-day Out-door Course - Friday 23rd March 9am-4.30pm details on facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/101736763290729/

It's in woodland between Canterbury and Dover, I'll be going.

The qualification last for 3 years and is delivered through an HSE approved centre.

This course is delivered by Prepared 4 Ltd.

The cost per person is £65

To book or if you don't use facebook please call Hannah 01304 842045 or 07828316827

Keith Williams

Postby Rich » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Jilly,

That's a nice write up and actually a good reminder to us all that skills and knowledge are the first things we should pack when we go out into the 'wilderness'.

Thanks

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby tracy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 am

This course is being re run in our woodland near Rye, 21st and 22nd July. You can camp for free, and you WILL enjoy yourselves! Let me know if you are interested. £110 for SWOG members

Tracy

[email protected]

tracy

Postby tracy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:59 am

and Keith, we look forward to hearing about the course you are doing

Tracy

tracy

Postby tracy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:51 am

We are taking bookings for the first aid course now:

http://peplers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/wilderness-first-responder-july-2012.html

Get in touch soon to book your place, only £110 for SWOG members!

tracy

Previous

Return to South East