Small Woodland Owners' Group

Growing Mushrooms..

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Postby MartreCycle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:48 pm

spotted in passing that Dobies ( the seed people ) - www.dobies.co.uk

are selling spawn plugs for various type of mushrooms that can be grown on wood for less than a tenner for 30 "plugs"

I liked the simplicity of their information - so much so I will be attempting this year.

"...Culture: Supplied as 'wooden plugs' - all you need to do is find some freshly cut logs (except from pine trees), drill holes in them and push them in. Cropping commences after 4-10 months and continues 3-5 times a year for 3-5 years. Supplied with full cultural instructions."

Anyone - any advice to novice mushroom grower ?

MartreCycle

Postby jillybean » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Yes, keep your expectations low. I meticulously followed my slightly more comprehensive instructions, and am still waiting a year later. :{

jillybean

Postby Rich » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:14 pm

Yeah I thought it would be a good idea to grow them instead of using the logs for firewood, but once you've coppiced the micro climate really heats up and becomes too hot and dry in a freshly felled cant. I was advised to move them into the shade or put up some shade cloth...keep them damp (Yes with water you just happen to have lying around conveniently)... then there would be problems with deer disturbance... then the cost...then they don't always come up... blah blah... then all of a sudden firewood didin't seem too bad an option!

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Darren » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:20 pm

I sell mushroom logs. The two logs I have left from last year have both fruited. A squirrel or other rodent has nicked the mushrooms. I wonder if your mushrooms have been taken?

Darren

Postby happybonzo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:39 am

I never had many Mushrooms ( of the edible type) until two Ponies wandered into the Wood... There after we seem to have mushrooms

happybonzo

Postby docsquid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:24 am

I haven't tried growing "tame" mushrooms, but we had a fantastic crop of wild parasol mushrooms this year and they were very tasty. If you can learn to identify a few edible species, particularly those that are not readily confused with anything inedible (parasol mushrooms are one of these) then you might well find planting them isn't needed.

I'd like to have a go at planting some though...

docsquid

Return to Produce