Small Woodland Owners' Group

Rowan Jelly

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Postby MartreCycle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:53 pm

I see the berries are turning to orange - ( eventually go vivid red)

any one experienced rowan jelly -

I see plenty of recipes for it - never plucked up the courage to have a try -

on a hit or miss or may be basis - any opinions ?

MartreCycle

Postby Henrietta » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:59 pm

I have just made some Rowan jelly for the first time. I used half Rowan berries and half crab apples. The jelly has quite a strong taste which I liked but it isn't to everyone's taste. If you don't want it too strong, I would advise using one quarter Rowan to three quarter crab apples. If you dont have crab apples you could try cooking apples, although I dont know what the result would be. The pectin in the apples is what helps it set. I stewed the berries and halved apples with just enough water to cover, to a pulp and pressed through a sieve. I then poured it through a jelly bag. You then measure the liquid, adding one pound of sugar to each pint of liquid. Bring the liquid back to the boil and add sugar. Bring it back to the boil, stirring often. Boil till it reaches setting point. I'm sure you could use a thermometer, but I use the saucer method. Put a spoonful on a plate, wait till it cools and then just push your finger through it. If it crinkles up well it is set. Put into warmed jars.

Henrietta

Postby MartreCycle » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:44 am

Well...

I tried out the above - first time for everything -

end result - a fantastic apple and rowan sauce ( great on porridge) -

sadly no setting involved - might cheat next year as have spotted some pectin in a bottle in supermarket !!

Live and learn - and enjoying it - anyone else had a Rowan Jelly creation experience..

MartreCycle

Postby docsquid » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:57 am

I made Crab Apple and Rowan jelly this year too - we have a lot of crab apples in both our garden and the wood. The rowan trees in the wood are a bit young to have berries, but we have three in our garden. It is quite a tart-flavoured jelly, but is absolutely delicious when eaten with sausages or burgers i.e. as an accompaniment to savoury dishes when otherwise you'd have chutney. It set just fine for me with the half-half mix. It is nice on toast as well.

docsquid

Return to Produce