Small Woodland Owners' Group

growing mushrooms

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:20 pm

anyone growing mushrooms for sale in there woods?

have look at this web site http://www.gourmetmushrooms.co.uk/professional/professional_intro.htm# any good?

Darren

Postby jillybean » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:09 pm

That looks very useful. thanks Darren. I am hoping to go into production this year, and might have logs to spare, depending on my FC 5 year plan.

jillybean

Postby cagsley » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:46 pm

Xmas 2008 we sent logs from our wood impregnated with these things to loads of friends and family, 40 in total. Despite sendig care guides with them there wasn't one mushroom from any of them. Even the 4 logs we kept which were definately stored and looked after correctly failed miserably. Too late to complain now and are still hoping to get some this autumn, I would be nery careful and check what guarantees you get before investing a lot. Just personal experience I would enjoy hearing of any successes.

Craig

cagsley

Postby jillybean » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:11 am

Ive got a lot of fungus growing in my wood already, and Im reading up on it at the moment, we are going to start small, for that very reason. One can spend more than the cost of a bag of mushroms every week. Still, its fun to journey into the world of cultivation. it can take 2 1/2 years, so ive been told. You may yet get some! I can see the problem being getting rid of them if one had a glut. its hard to keep them in storage isnt it? they dont freeze well either. My Italian Auntie used to slice the puffballs she found and dry them by the oven on a rack.

jillybean

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:30 am

we were going to start small for the same reason. According to that web site it take at least 12 months. I read that that you can shock them into fruiting by soaking them in water. As they all fruit at once we were going to dry them and see if we could sell them to the local restaurants.

Darren

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:31 am

There is mushroom that grows on soft woods which very handing if your thinning them.

Darren

Postby cagsley » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:02 pm

I have tried shocking mine but to no avail. I will wait another year before the logs become firewood.

Craig

cagsley

Return to Produce