Small Woodland Owners' Group

Cash offered for standing wood of coppice woodland in Kent

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Postby SilvaEnergy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:53 pm

Do you own coppice woodland in Kent? Especially in the Maidstone and Ashford regions.

We are a newly formed company called Silva Energy Limited. We have gained planning permission for a Biomass Fueled CHP plant and are looking to sign agreements with woodland owners for the purchase of their standing wood. We are ready to offer cash deposits now with the coppicing taking place at the end of '09 and beginning of '10. Please post a reply in this thread or email me directly at [email protected]

Kind regards

Peter Tweddell

SilvaEnergy

Postby tracy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi Peter

You might also find WoodLots a good place to advertise.

I hope you don't mind a few questions! (I won't be a customer as we are doing our own coppicing...) but

Do you buy the timber standing, do all the work and tidy up after yourselves?

Do you have some kind of agreement to leave the site tidy and as undamaged as possible?

Do you have chainsaw qualifications, coppicing experience and insurance?

References?

Equipment that can access small woodlands?

How large an area would you want to coppice at once?

Do you do the paperwork for the felling licence?

I hope you don't mind these questions, they are important issues though ;-)

and welcome to swog!

Tracy

tracy

Postby SilvaEnergy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:54 pm

Hello Tracy.

Many thanks for the reply and bringing WoodLots to my attention. In reply to your questions please read on:

Q - Do you buy the timber standing, do all the work and tidy up after yourselves?

A - Yes, we will pay cash for the standing timber and carry out all the work leaving no mess.

Q - Do you have some kind of agreement to leave the site tidy and as undamaged as possible?

A - Yes, we will include a 'tidy and undamaged site' clause in the agreement. Any rutting from vehicular access will be put right.

Q - Do you have chainsaw qualifications, coppicing experience and insurance?

A - I am taking my CS30 & CS31 qualifications in the coming months. Hence being a start-up company, my coppicing experience is limited. However it is rapidly growing! I do have lots of experience of tree thinning and 'larger' one-off tree fellings though. As for insurance, we will have public liability when it comes to carrying out the coppicing.

Q - References?

A - In terms of coppicing, at present no. Well unless you count my parents woodland that I've started on.

Q - Equipment that can access small woodlands?

A - Yes, we have a Toyota Hilux along with a TimberWolf tracked chipper.

Q - How large an area would you want to coppice at once?

A - We will have the capacity to coppice approx one acre every two weeks.

Q - Do you do the paperwork for the felling licence?

A - Yes, that will be all handled by Silva Energy Limited

Once again, many thanks for the questions Tracy. I hope my answers are informative.

All the best

Peter

SilvaEnergy

Postby tracy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi Peter, thanks for your informative answers - I hope you didn't feel like I was giving you a hard time- it will save you answering the questions to everyone!

Have you been in touch with Dave Rossney? Esus forestry? lots of good grants for training for new coppice workers.

Tracy

tracy

Postby Catweazle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:21 pm

The question that springs to mind is "How much are you offering ?" for standing and ready-felled wood ?

Catweazle

Postby RichardKing » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:28 pm

Do you take softwood ?

RichardKing

Postby SilvaEnergy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Re. Tracy

- Many thanks for passing on Dave Rossney info, I've just emailed him.

Re. Catweazle

- Good question!... There are a number of variables that we need to take into account before we can offer a price. But as a 'rough' guide we could offer around £250/acre standing or £350/acre felled. However do not take these values as gospel because the typical tonnage per acre from different woodlands will vary significantly. We will make offers on a case by case basis. If you wish to discuss this further please contact me directly at [email protected] and we can come to an agreement. I hope this helps.

Re. RichardKing

- Yes we will take softwood. Again if you would like to contact me directly at [email protected] we can form an estimate and offer you a price.

SilvaEnergy

Postby adrian rossant » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Hi there peter

I am new to this area and have only just read your posts. As you are a new company starting up I was wondering if you was looking for coppice cutters. Very briefly I have my own saws/equipment, p p e etc and have twenty five years experience in countryside management including commercial forestry and coppicing.

Good luck with you venture.

Cheers Adrian

adrian rossant

Return to Produce