Small Woodland Owners' Group

Coppice and woodland product prices

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Postby tracy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Philip Hardy has sent us his prices

Retail bag of charcoal (3kg approx) £4.50

The bags are British coppice association, filled with two galvanised buckets worth of charcoal. I found this easier than weighing, as my woods have a mixture ofvery heavy and light woods. Heavy:- Hornbeam and blackthorn, Light:- alder and birch, which depending on what went into the kiln, would produce bags that were over stuffed, or half full at 3 kg.

Bulk retail, 3 bags or more £11 per 3 bags

Wholesale £3.00 a bag, minimum order 10 bags

Bean sticks £8 for a bundle of 20

Peasticks. Not sold before this year, but have a some for sale this year, and thinking of a price of £3 for a bundle of 20, retail.

Small logs in a net sacking (millenium sacks potato sacks size) £5.00 retail, £3.00 wholesale.

Large logs £50 per chord. I only sell hornbeam this way. The logs are cut to approx 9", but not split, and the buyer must collect.This way I minimise handling of very heavy wood, and save time and fuel from delivering.

Willow Withies 9"+ £8 bundle of 20

Willow Withies 6"-9" £8 bundle of 40

I hope this is helpful.

tracy

Postby greyman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Oh! My! What did I doooooooo! Well just a little bit of information to be going on with then. I'll buy some extra candles on the way home from work 'cos there's plenty of work to do to tease out the specifics. None the less I'd just like to thank all the post's so far - and despite my comments -keep 'em coming.

Love and Bananas,

Greyman

greyman

Postby tracy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:21 pm

For the high end prices:

http://www.wildernesswood.co.uk/

tracy

Postby Toby Allen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:52 pm

prices? good luck.

If any one wants a copy of my price list, email me(please dont come to hereford and undercut me)!

Though it all depends on your area, what you want to be doing and what your market is.

Fire wood goes for £60 per cube and £85 for 1 1/2 cube. Bean poles are 50p each. These are side lines I use to bring in new customers, I can then give them a flier and sell them my other ( more lucrative) products and services. I also have the oppatunity to tell them about what I do and ask if there's any thing they would like.

Pricing is a fine line- too low and sell it all for no profit, too high and not sell it but make more per unit.

I think it's also worth thinking about what you want to do and how much product you've got. Do you want to be churning out spars (mostly imported from poland) by the thousand for 10 pence each or making chairs worth £200? It's probably the same hourly rate for both activities, and done occasonly can be good fun. But do you want to working in spar factory for the rest of your life? (Thats why they come from poland)

In my opinion this is why the coppice industry is in disrepair, the coppice products using bulk hazel can be boring, hard, low paid full time jobs (but fun pass times), without many contempory uses.

This is why we should all do our best to find new markets and develop new products, hazel coppice will only get managed if it becomes a valuable crop again. Which is why bean pole week is such a fantastic idea, get people back into the habit of buying sticks from woodlanders.

We've certainly got some.

Toby Allen

Postby DaveTaz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:44 pm

Has anyone looked on www.ecolots.co.uk for an idea of firewood prices - they seem to vary somewhat depending on location etc

It is also a good site for other interesting bits and pieces

I bought a second hand Ifor Williams trailer (GD85) with mesh sides and aluminium canopy cover off this site, and it was considerably cheaper than any where else!! You never know what bargains there are out there!

DaveTaz

Postby tracy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:05 pm

Thanks for all your help with prices, now I am after photos of coppice products please!

As in: this is a pea stick

bean pole

hazel hurdle sticks

....etc!

Hope you can help!

Tracy

tracy

Postby carlight » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:35 pm

hi ,greyman .

did we ever get to the point of a definitive list ?

have heard of some tasty(for sellers)increases re firewood /charcoal prices ...?

would be good to have a listing on prices

also ,- any recent prices for firewood 'at roadside ' -i e buying it in from the fc.

carlight

Postby greyman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Carlight and any others who are interested:

I did pull together some indicative prices from the postings but it got a bit bogged down with the different measurements and me getting busy elsewhere! I've been asked to have another go at putting something together, so, if anyone has any newer prices from thier areas, what has been sold this year and any prices for the coming season, I'd be more that pleased to hear from you!

If possible can anyone posting information give it in the following format:

County name

What the product is i.e. Fire wood, poles, pea sticks, charcoal, drawing charcoal, bean sticks etc

Price

And now the difficult bit - quantities it is sold in i.e. Firewood - delivered in bags, truck load, volume (cubic Meter, Yard etc) or weight. For things like Peasticks we need to know if the price is per bundle, bundle quantity and sizes (length of average stick)

I hope this isn't too difficult but it will help me to manage the information!

Hope to hear from all you budding bussiness people!

Greyman

greyman

Postby Kris Hemin » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:32 pm

Can I, if I can use the phrase, rekindle this thread.

Some friends are to run a yurting course and want ash rods. In my two woodlands I have just enough to provide them with the 150 or so one inch and two inch rods they need. However I'd be hard pressed to meet a repeat order - which is bound to come - for a couple of years. So this is to find whether there is a coppice network possible for such products. I know transport is an issue but my belief is that if the network is there the demand will develop and more providers will emerge. Me, I'm trying to develop mixed coppice with standards, so have hazel, willow, chestnut, alder, lime, apple, hawthorn and oak as well as the ash.

Pricing I've not settled but thought £1 for the 1" and £2 for the 2", each x 6-9 foot.

My location is NWWales.

Kris Hemin

Postby DaveTaz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:05 am

Kris, have you looked here

http://www.coppicenorthwest.org.uk/

http://www.allotmentforestry.co.uk/

http://www.coppice-products.co.uk/

http://www.bodfari-charcoal.co.uk/ (woodland skills centre)

good luck

DaveTaz

PreviousNext

Return to Produce