Small Woodland Owners' Group

The Price of firewood ?

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Postby RichardKing » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:06 am

The retail price of firewood seems to have dropped recently. A few weeks back a standard load of 1.2 cubic metres hardwood was about £70- delivered. Now all the ads in the "Friday ad" are for £60- or even less. Talking to a couple of of suppliers I know confirmed my view. I suppose its the recession.

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:13 am

That's really interesting Richard, we are hearing that some will need to raise their prices to cover the fuel costs. I wonder how in the end, the two will balance out?

tracy

Postby RichardKing » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:51 pm

Well, fuel costs are down. I have no doubt that Tim Saunders was correct when he quoted £55- a cubic metre on 18th October and this is probably still achievable. But there are certainly some people supplying at below that.

RichardKing

Postby The Sawyer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi Richard, As a Firewood producer We have had to increase our cost from £55 -65 over the past 3 years as the fuel cost has risen. Although the cost of petrol as fallen bellow £1 a litre the price of diesel is still well above this and the price of red Diesel (used in agroforestry plant) is well over double that of 3 years ago.

The other major cost to the legitimate firewood merchants is the insurance cost which are rising year on year.

What should be remembered is that it cost £20 per cubic to get the timber to road side it then has to be processed and delivered. it takes an average 6 man hours per cubic metre from stump to door.

Having said all this we are having the best year ever as people are opening their fire places up and buying stoves, with 3month waiting list for the stoves.

ttfn Kester

The Sawyer

Postby RichardKing » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Kester, I am not disputing your figures. Just attempting to understand how anyone can sell a load for £50-, or £ 60- delivered, as in the Friday Ad?

RichardKing

Postby The Sawyer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Hi Richard the price round here seems to be holding up but I have heard of people selling at £45-£50 for soft wood.

The price of cord wood had gone from about £20 per cubic metre delivered, up to £30-£40 if you can get hold of it.

Probably the answer to how they can afford to sell it for £50 delivered is they not insured or their stupid or on a good pension.

ttfn kester

The Sawyer

Postby DaveTaz » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:28 am

I think location, number of suppliers and type of supplier are all likely to have an impact on selling price of firewood. I've just been quoted £70 for 2.5 cubic metres of split seasoned mixed hardwoods delivered ! This has come from a tree surgeon who only does firewood as and when he feels like it as it's not his main business, I think he sees it as an easy way of getting rid of his waste and making a few quid at the same time. This then drives down the local price as nobody can compete with that. I was hoping to sell firewood at £65/cubic metre but it seems to put people off! Maybe he will run out soon and I can charge an appropriate price - I'd rather not sell it at all at a low price if I can avoid it

DaveTaz

Postby RichardKing » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Good point Dave. The Friday Ad newspaper of 2 weeks ago had about 15 ads at £60- a load or less. Interesting to see what todays prices are. The farm next door to me (who sold over 600 loads last year) says that demand rises rapidly before xmas, plus of course that cold weather coming in!

RichardKing

Postby Underwoodsman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:05 pm

Your probably right about location, we live in SE Hampshire and the price around here is between £60 & £75 per load. As Kester says at £70 for 2.5 cubic metres he is either stupid of desperate for the space, also around here some tree surgeons don't know what seasoned means. It is hard to gereralise as each area will be different, and you will have to weigh up your competitors, but we have found it has taken around four years to build up our firewood round. You get your ups and downs but we have found that sticking to a price and being reliable will usually get and keep customers.

Underwoodsman

Postby greyman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:09 pm

Just seen an ad for 1 cubic meter for £65 delivered in the Horsham, East Sussex area

greyman

Next

Return to Produce