Small Woodland Owners' Group

Help - Chainsaws for dummys

Anything to do with SWOG Membership, meetings and find people with skills to offer

Postby old smithy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:44 pm

Hi there all, I am new to all this (but eager) and I need to learn all about chainsaws and how to use them for managing my land and the huge piles of already felled trees - done by the last owner and just left.

I want to start turning it from piles o branches into useful firewood. Can anyone recommend a good place to start when working with chainsaws etc. I am keen to get started but also don't want to go off half-cocked with such a potentially lethal tool. We are based in Shropshire.

All advise welcome guys.

Ian

old smithy

Postby carlight » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:46 pm

hi ,well ,eager is good ,especially with the hot weather/ safety trousers-leg boiler.!

You really need to find someone who is prepared to work with you ,and guide you . There's really no other way .If the 'pile of trees' are already 'snedded out'(limbs removed),and just need cross-cutting ,then maybe you could employ a local cutter (cash/weekends-good)for a day's work/teaching .

Pretty important to understand kickback potential (re safety), and tension/compression (re frustration).

Of course ,these things may be mentioned during the basic saw 'safety' stuff ,by a bored instructor ,but is no substitute for reality .

Hope you get sorted .

(would cost a bit to get me up from devon , but if you get really stuck ,and promise to only have husqvarna kit on site ...........)

carlight

Postby Twybill » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:45 pm

You could use a bow saw. A 30" one with raker and peg teeth would whistle through branch wood in no time. Use the Sandvik/Bahco blades as they are the best. I've tried other makes but they often have too much set on the teeth which makes for harder work. You will learn more about the basics of cutting wood if you do it by hand, without the inherent dangers of a power saw. Just remember if you are right handed to wear a glove on your left hand. Even bow saws can jump out of the groove and draw blood.

Once you have got into the thrill of using your own energy, then you can set about the trunks as well. If they are too large a diameter split them down the length with wedges and again to make quarters. They will saw easy then.

Twybill

Postby tracy » Sat May 01, 2010 7:34 am

And chainsaw courses are well worth it. I know they seem to cost a lot - but I highly recommend them! Your leg or your life is worth it!

tracy

Postby docsquid » Mon May 10, 2010 3:48 pm

We've gone down the route of getting professional tree surgeons to teach us. One who does work on our site for us (felling difficult trees, work that requires climbing) is also a professional chainsaw instructor. He is teaching us the bits we need to know but not the bits we don't need to know from the course and we don't need certification for other purposes as we don't work off site. This is more cost-effective and better tailored to our needs than a generic course.

However, if you need certification i.e. you are intending to work with others or on other sites, then you do need to do the five-day course.

docsquid

Postby old smithy » Fri May 14, 2010 8:34 am

thanks for all the feedback, all useful stuff guys. There is a good weekend course I have found that covers many useful aspects - chainsaw use, coppicing, pollarding etc. I am edging towards signing up but it is over £100.

Still better that than some nasty accident of stupid blunder :)

old smithy

Postby old smithy » Fri May 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Can anyone recommend any good woodland courses in Shropshire?

old smithy

Postby RichardKing » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:47 am

An experienced chainsaw user who was a friend of the farmer next door was killed the other day.

As usual it was the tree that got him, chainsaws usually maim.

Chainsaws are not for dummys.

RichardKing

Postby old smithy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have many people saying things like "What's wrong with you man, just buy a chainsaw and get on with it" - however I know there is no substitute for experience and even then things can go wrong. So I wont be taking any chances.

I have myself signed up for a 4 day course that covers maintenance of the chainsaw, cross cutting and felling. I don't expect to come out an expert but at least I wont be quite so green anymore - if you will forgive the pun. I am looking forwards to it a great deal.

old smithy

Next

Return to Member issues, skills register and questions