Small Woodland Owners' Group

New

Anything to do with SWOG Membership, meetings and find people with skills to offer

Postby tracy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:42 pm

Ah, yes, of course you did!

Here is the link:

http://www.swog.org.uk/articles/alaskan-saw-mill-by-adrian/

tracy

Postby James M » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:58 am

Guys can I just say again - I didn't build that one!

You're crediting me with more talent than I actually have!

I do have one I built myself, similar to that one though, which I'm improving now.

FYI - Costs :

Steel tubing from B+Q - £24.

Gasless Mig welder £55 new from fleabay. That still gets a lot of use and was a good buy. No mucking about with gas bottles, plug in and away you go.

They're incredibly easy to build, and customise/modify.

I'll be modding mine again soon to enable me to use it as a vertical 90 degree as well as horizontal cutter.

Cheers, J.

James M

Postby woodbodger » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks every body for all the input I am in awe at some of the metal work done. I think I shall have to go for a logasol when funds permit. Our woods are in Carmarthenshire just north of St Claires. I have one massive Ash tree blown down which has a trunk at least 48" in diameter maybe 60" which I would like to be able to produce some round tree ring coffee tables out of but it is going to require a big saw?

woodbodger

Postby John H » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Woodbodger

It sounds like your ash and oak need milling. If you were interested I could mill them for you for a fee or a percentage of the wood. I also have a 36in bar to go on my chainsaw if you wanted a ring or 2.

jphz(at)btopenworld.com

John H

Previous

Return to Member issues, skills register and questions