Small Woodland Owners' Group

New Owner

Anything to do with SWOG Membership, meetings and find people with skills to offer

Postby Willow Bank » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:02 am

I am a new owner of an area of land with two ponds and numerous trees, I need to learn about maintaining the wooded area, we plan on planting an hedge row, and bluebells under the trees etc. can anybody reccomend a course/courses that would help please?

Thanks

Roy

Willow Bank

Postby tracy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:18 am

Hi Roy

welcome to swog! What area of the country are you in? That wil help us to tell you about courses

best wishes

Tracy

tracy

Postby Willow Bank » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:41 am

Hi Tracy, thanks for your reply, I am in North East Lincolnshire. At the risk of being a pest, is there a way to change the password that SWOG sent me to sign in to the BLOG, its too complicated to remember.

Many thanks

Roy

Willow Bank

Postby tracy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi Roy. Hopefully we can find some courses in your area. For your password, I think you should be able to go to your profile and change it. If not, email me, and I can change it for you

tracy

Postby lesthetreenut » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:12 am

You lucky person you! Look up British Trust for Conservation Volunteers, Natural England, even National Trust in local directories and one of them will let you know what courses are on where. You can go on cheap short holidays too. A course on bladed or small tool use and/or power tool/chain saw use will teach you a lot. A local wildlife society will be found through your local library and joining that will give you all sorts of free knowledge, labour, a survey of your wood and so on. The ponds may be horrible and take a buddy whenever you do any work if you can.

What you do may effect the microenvironment. The ponds and thinning trees may mean you have planty of water for a hedge and so on but it is a consideration, plus where the water comes from. Spring, dew or just accumulated? Does it need enhancing or draining? How old is the wood, does it have banks round it and what was the original use or intention? Do you know what grows there normally before you go planting bulbs? The local groups will help you find out.

lesthetreenut

lesthetreenut

Postby tracy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi Lesthetreenut

Welcome!

tracy

Return to Member issues, skills register and questions